Spike Jonze embraces digital love in original film “Her”

Spike Jonze’s new film “Her” depicts a futuristic romance between Theodore Twombly – played by Joaquin Phoenix – and his new Operating System, Samantha – voiced by Scarlett Johansson. Like every love story, there are complications and moments of great joy that mix together to showcase a heartfelt bond amongst the characters.

Phoenix’s character, Theodore Twombly, is a recently separated middle age man – still in the process of being divorced – who is an expert love letter writer at beautifulhandwrittenletters.com. As a lonesome man who writes about other peoples’ love, Theodore purchases a new Operating System (OS) that is designed to meet his every need both technically and emotionally. What makes this OS special is that it has a conscience. Theodore’s OS names herself Samantha and the two have an instant connection that leads them through a haunting journey of heartache, struggling with the reality of their love.

Out of its five Oscar nominations, the film deserves its praise for Best Motion Picture. Jonze knows exactly which angle and lens to film from in order to put the audience into this beautifully tragic movie. He gets up close and personal to capture every emotion Phoenix portrays and finds a way to also show the essence of Johansson. Jonze is able to allow the audience to experience every aspect of this film and feel as if they are part of this futuristic life and romance.

The film’s soundtrack perfectly enhances each moment Theodore and Samantha share together. It allows the audience to swoon and ache by remembering moments in their own lives when they have felt both love and pain. Featuring songs written and preformed by Arcade Fire and an original song, sung by Scarlett Johansson, music plays a big role in this film. It allows the audience to feel and move with every second of this relationship.

Theodore and Samantha also share a unique bond through the power of the music they write for one another. For example, Samantha and Theodore write a song together while upon a snowy mountaintop. Samantha sings her song “The Moon Song” while Theodore plays his ukulele as they sit in the warmth of a wooden cabin. Although the idea of dating a computer does sound sketchy and mental, this movie never allows the audience to feel like Samantha is not human. Despite one of the big debates between Samantha and Theodore is that she is not “real” it is overwhelming how the movie makes you believe she could be. And like so many other love stories, Theodore and Samantha continually ask themselves and risk everything to show how real their love for each other is.

“Her” is a powerful and moving film that makes the audience want to be alive. It drives this ambition everyone has to feel and to experience the world we live in, whether it is in the future, past, or present. I highly recommend this movie to anyone who wishes to be captured by moments that make you want to feel alive. It is a film that, although quirky, everyone can find something to relate to, whether it is something they have experienced or something they wish to.

This film does an excellent job of fitting into many different genres such as Sci-Fi, drama, comedy, and a little bit of suspense, which makes it right for everyone.