Head writer provides insight into the making of Lagniappe

Leah Roche: What role did you have in Lagniappe last year?
Maggie Noren: I was a writer. Two scenes I wrote were in the show last year. One of them was the Jesus scene in the first act where he comes back to school and he’s with the parapro and the Kairos kids come see him And then my other one was American Idol parody but it was with Greek gods and they reviewed people as if they were going to send them to heaven or hell. So yeah, the two religiously themed scenes. I don’t know why. I’m not that religious. But I like making fun of stuff.
LR: How would you say your scenes from last year compare to this year?
MN: Honestly, I like my scenes from last year but I think that I’ve improved as a writer and learned a lot more about comedic timing and how this particular audience will react. I discovered what works and what doesn’t work.
LR: What is the writing process?
MN: Our first meeting was a couple days after school let out, actually. We met a couple days a week in June. The script was due July 4th so Emily (assistant head writer, Emily Trevor) and I went through all the scenes that had been submitted and picked ones we liked and put them in a script. Then later, in August, we had an “Ordering Meeting” where we ordered the show with technicaldirectors.

LR: How much of what you wrote over the summer is in Lagniappe this year?
MN: I mean obviously there is a limited amount of time for each show, so things have to be cut. Probably around 70 to 80 scenes were submitted to us. I believe there are 11 big scenes and then 5 or 6 blackout scenes, which are quick, couple second scenes.
LR: What material was cut because it was inappropriate?
MN: Laughs. A couple of things. We actually left a spot for a topical joke because the script is due July 4th and we don’t really know what the school year will entail. We were going to make a joke about the sexting scandal but that was cut because we didn’t want to personally victimize any of the people involved, which is understandable.
MN: What’s your favorite scene?
LR: My favorite scene is the Bar Mitzvah scene and it is at the end of the first act. I don’t want to give too much away, but I was sitting in rehearsal watching it and we needed a specific song to play during Snowball. I was watching the scene for the first time and Danielle Newmark, who is in the show, was sitting right next to me and was like, “Why don’t we do ‘No Air’ by Jordan Sparks?” And it just works so well and it really compliments the scene.
LR: Why do think a student run production like Lagniappe works so well?
MN: It works because we’re students and we know what students want to see. It’s a very personalized show about New Trier. And everybody likes making fun of New Trier. There, publish that.
LR: Address the rumor that things get cut from Wednesday to Friday.
MN: That’s not true, everyone. You hear that? Okay? That happened once a couple years back because some higher-up in the administration came and really did not like something. But the script is read by Dr. Doher and the faculty sponsors way before it’s put on stage for everyone to see. So everything that is not appropriate has been cut before Wednesday.
LR: Any last words?
MN: Thank you for your time, Ms. Roche.