Competition between iTunes Radio and Pandora emerges

When iOS 7 was released by Apple in September, iTunes was updated. One of the biggest software changes was the release of iTunes Radio.

Many compare iTunes Radio to Pandora Internet Radio. Commonly known as Pandora, the app and service is used to listen to music that is not in your iTunes library, but is based on your interests. Pandora was created in 2000, and since then has been used by over 200 million users. It is also number nine on the top grossing list in the App store. But, will iTunes radio become the new Pandora?

Pandora is the creator of the Music Genome Project. The Music Genome Project “powers the personalization of Pandora internet radio by using musicological “DNA” and constant listener feedback to craft personalized stations,” as stated on the Pandora website. Using this, Pandora picks music similar to your preference. Users can create up to 100 stations constructed off of what you like and dislike, options you can use while listening to a song. In addition, if you don’t like a song, you are allowed to skip it. Free users of Pandora may skip up to six songs an hour per station, and paid users of Pandora are allowed to skip as often as they please. Pandora One is the paid version of Pandora, and costs $3.99 per month.

With the release of iTunes Radio, users can create stations from their favorite artists and songs. They can also create a wish list of songs they would like to purchase from the iTunes store, or buy the song immediately while they are listening to it. Users have the option to like the song, allowing Apple to alter the music they play for you. Apple also claims that “the more you listen, the more personalized your stations become.”

Since its release date in September, iTunes Radio has reached 20 million users, according to Tim Cook, Chief Executive of Apple. In comparison, Pandora claims they have around 72 million active users as of last month.

Mike Herring, Chief Financial Officer of Pandora, told CNET that “Pandora’s share price took a big hit when Apple launched its new iTunes Radio service, but Pandora still has the upper hand.” Jack Lewin, sophomore, comments “I think Pandora will become less popular because iTunes Radio is connected with their music library already. You don’t have to make another account because it is just your Apple Id.”

Students at New Trier find the two very similar. Alice White, a sophomore, thinks “there is barely any difference, but I use Pandora more because I feel like I get more music that I’ve never heard of. On iTunes Radio I feel like I get music that everyone has already heard.” One of the few differences between the two is the accessibility in different countries. iTunes Radio is only available in the US, while Pandora is available in Australia, New Zealand, and the US. Also, iTunes Radio allows 6 skips per station, not per hour.