Dreamworks “Home” Movie Review

Well-known musician Rihanna and dorky comedian Jim Parsons come together and form an unforeseeable friendship in Dreamwork’s latest animated film, Home. Parsons is the voice of a fictional creature, a “Boov”, and goes by the nickname “Oh”.

Boov are known as mostly evil, especially to humans. Their mission is to avoid their enemies, the Gorgs, by invading and occupying different planets. Upon invading Earth, their final possibility to find a home, the Boov quickly capture and relocate the humans into desert areas while they occupy the humans’ homes.

Rihanna’s character, Tip, and her cat, Pig, were the only ones on Earth whom the Boov failed to capture, thus separating the two from Tip’s mom. During her attempt at hiding from the Boov invasion at an abandoned grocery store, Tip runs into Oh and traps him so he can’t escape. As is the case in most Dreamworks movies, they talk and quickly become friendly with each other.

The problem is, Oh made a grave mistake that is almost impossible to overcome. Upon inhabiting Earth, Oh sends an E-vite to everyone at his new apartment in an attempt to make friends. Without intention, Oh accidentally sends the e-mail to all Gorgs, thus putting the Boov in immediate danger.

This puts Oh and Tip both in tight situations, both with places to go and things to accomplish.

The two embark on a remarkable journey across the world in a slushie-powered super-car. Oh learns about human nature from Tip, and Tip watches as Oh interacts with other Boov.

It seems as though every Dreamworks animation has a similar, if not identical storyline. Someone finds either true love or an unlikely friend, an evil character comes in and almost messes everything up, but it’s typically a very happy ending.

Almost every Disney or Dreamworks production has a storyline similar to Home‘s. Shrek, an ogre, befriends a talking Donkey and falls in love with a Princess. Carl Fredricksen and young boy scout Russell become close in the tear-jerking, family friendly Disney movie Up. Madagascar provides viewers with a come-together story. The examples continue with the common theme of opposites attracting to provide a heroic story with a bittersweet twist towards the end, before everything comes together in the end.

There is nothing entirely unique about Dreamworks’ Home. It’s just like plenty of other Dreamworks films in terms of plot, conflict, and character development. Each of Dreamworks’ productions are smashing successes, and this one is no exception. It was the most emotionally attaching of the films I’ve seen and did a great job of drawing the viewers into empathizing with the characters in the film. I won’t go as far as to say I shed a tear, although a tidal wave of emotion did hit me, but my reluctant plus-one that came with me couldn’t keep a dry eye.

This was a fantastic film, from start to finish. A lot of sympathy mixed in with perfectly timed humor that children and adults would enjoy blended perfectly, and the two stars shined in their own but completely contrasting roles. You’ve done it again, Dreamworks, bravo.