Lollapalooza, now with 33% more fun

Four days of Lolla leaves some excited, some concerned

Music fans arrive on day 2 of Lollapalooza 2013 at Grant Park on Saturday, Aug. 3, 2013, in Chicago. (Photo by Steve Mitchell/Invision/AP)

Steve Mitchell/Invision/AP

Georgia Caras, News Editor

Lollapalooza is often the highlight of the summer for many students, but the newly announced fourth day is bringing mixed emotions.

Lollapalooza, attended by a large amount of New Trier students each year, is expanding its festivities to four days, one more day than the usual three, in honor of its 25th anniversary this summer.

According to the festival’s website, Lollapalooza founder Perry Farrell said that in honor of Lolla’s 25th anniversary, “We wanted to do something really special and different for our fans. There’s a lot of really great music coming out in 2016; with the abundance of talent that wanted to help us celebrate 25 years we got to thinking…‘How are we going to fit all those great artists in one weekend?’…So, we’ve put together an entire additional day of music to celebrate our mile-stone year. It’s going to be a fantastic party!”

This announcement was music to many student’s ears.

When asked why New Trier students love Lollapalooza so much, junior Brett Zaslavsky said, “It’s an opportunity to hang out with your friends and see some great artists, spend some time in the city. It’s something to look forward to.”

Sophomore Freddy McClanahan said, “It captures the freedom of our generation. It allows them to express themselves socially and emotionally. It’s their music, and it’s really a great place to let out some feelings and go out and have some fun.”

Senior Brendan Gridley said, “I think the Lolla atmosphere is pretty unique because there’s a lot of other New Trier students there…part of why everyone goes is mostly to catch up with other students over the summer and talk to people they haven’t seen since school got out.”

Sophomore Juliana Bozzo said, “In terms of price, it’s a really a good deal considering the amount of people you get to see in one day.”

Junior Mata Stilp, said, “It’s an excuse to get crazy with all of your good friends.”

Although the student body as a whole seems to enjoy Lolla, feelings were mixed when students were asked about how they personally felt about attending the extended festival. Alt-hough excited, many additionally expressed concern.

“I’ll tell ya, hold on to your hat folks, because Lollapalooza one day is exhausting. Lollapa-looza three days is very draining, and I don’t know if I have a fourth day in me,” said Zaslavsky.

Senior Matt Williams agreed. “I might go four days. Last time I died on Sunday, but I am absolutely stoked.”

“Four days sounds great, and you know there’s going to be some awesome artists there because it’s the 25th anniversary. But then again, it’s just another day for kids to get injured, hurt, sick, etc., and I don’t know if that’s worth the risk,” said junior Eden Rane.

The concerns students have for their health at the festival are not unsupported. Accord-ing to Ann & Robert H. Lurie Children’s Hospital’s website, “ER visits during Lollapalooza were more than double those during Spring Awakening, which had the second highest admission rates, five times higher than those over St. Patrick’s Day weekend and seven times higher than an average weekend in Chicago.

Though underage drinking may be common, that doesn’t make it safe. During Lollapalooza weekend, 102 teens were treated for alcohol poisoning in Chicago’s ERs. Each of the teens tested in Lurie Children’s ER that weekend had blood alcohol levels above the adult limit for driving (.08). Some even had a level of .32 or higher, which is considered toxic and potentially deadly.”

“I think the key to staying out of the hospital during Lolla is simple: stay safe and respon-sible. You’re given a lot of freedom at Lolla, and you need to use it wisely,” said junior Cormac Simon.

According to the festival’s website, “Lollapalooza 2016 will take place Thursday, July 28 and continue through Sunday, July 31. Four-day General Admission tickets will be available for $335 (including fees) and single day General Admission tickets will be available for $120 (including fees) beginning Spring 2016.”