Students trade backpacks for briefcases

Many students choose to spend their summers interning

Jessi Zook, Features Editor

To some, summer is a time to relax and enjoy time off, but for many New Trier students, it’s also a time to get job experience.
Many students spend their summers working and interning. According to Susan Thorngren, post high school counselor, “the most popular jobs are at park districts, golf courses and overnight camps.”
She’s also heard of New Trier students working at more unconventional locations, like Wagner Farm, engineering firms, and even NASA.
This summer senior Courtney Ketchum worked as a summer intern in the research and development department at AbbVie, a pharmaceutical company in Chicago. She said, “the general idea was to expose high schoolers to what they do there.” In other words, her job was really to learn.
While working, she not only spent time among experienced adults, but also got the opportunity to attend seminars and meet with some of the Vice Presidents of the company.
“The goal was to figure out if I want to do something like this in the future,” she said. Her dreams of chemical engineering were amplified by the experience.
Junior Elly Cudmore also interned over the summer, though hers took her all the way to The San Filipe Hotel in Casco Viejo, Panema City. While there, she interned for two weeks, helping the new hotel with “public resources, market sales, and researching the competition in the area,” she said. She also promoted the hotel, which hadn’t yet opened.
The hotel, owned by a family friend, offered much more than just an internship. “I got to practice my Spanish, and I also got real working experience,” she said.
It allowed Cudmore to find a new interest. “I really enjoyed working in hotel management, and never would have thought of that before.” Now, Cudmore is considering a career in the field later in life.
According to Thorngren, being exposed to these work environments proves invaluable to students. “Not only do you get your own money, you get added responsibility and it’s something different from being a student,” she said. It’s a way to explore your interests and prepare for your future, as Cudmore did.
Interests, said Thorngren, are one of the most important parts of a job. “When I meet students, I help them seek out jobs that match their interests, their schedules, and their goals.”
Senior Danny Kogan was always interested in political science, which led him to work as a financial intern for Congressman Brad Schneider over the summer. Schneider served as congressman of the tenth district from 2013 to 2015. While there, Kogan made calls asking for donations, attended parades, and helped plan a multitude of events. He will be working for Schneider until Election Day in November.
Throughout his internship, Kogan was able to interact with many different people. “I got to work with people from all over the country, which was really cool,” he said. While the majority of Kogan’s peers were older, he said they were a “very close knit group,” and all became good friends.
While Kogan isn’t sure whether or not he wants to pursue a career in political science, he said that the experiences that he’s gained will help him in all areas of his life. “It was a world where you learn to make connections, and at the end of the day, that’s the most important trait you can have,” he said.
According to Thorngren, high school jobs don’t mean you have to pursue a life long career in the field. It may just be a building block. “Many jobs help you build basic skills that qualify you to do the next job, and the one after that,” she said. They make you more desirable for future employers.
Thorngren said that these experiences teach problem solving, social skills, responsibility, and dedication, all of which help in all areas of life, such as school, relationships and sports. Cudmore agreed and said, “it was a great experience that really broadened my horizons.”