Students rock out for a worthy cause

Interact club raises money for various charities with unique music-themed event

May Paddor, News Editor

New Trier is bursting with musical talents from Jazz Choir to Symphony Orchestra. Yet, students aren’t exposed to half of the musical talent in the school, especially when it comes to student bands.
Interact Club’s “Band Together” fundraiser is one of the few times that student bands can play their music to an audience of their peers.
Band Together is on Saturday, Nov. 12 at the Winnetka Youth Organization, in the basement of the community house, from 7-10 p.m. Anna Helfman, the sponsor for Interact Club, said, “Everyone loves music and Band Together is music for a good cause.”
The goal of the event is to benefit philanthropic organizations. “We are donating the profits from Band Together to a variety of charities, like Happy Happy Happy Feet and ENDING POLIO. We chose these charities because all of them positively affect the world around them,” said senior Rose Peterson, Co-head of Interact Club.
“Happy Happy Happy Feet is an organization that is tied with South Africa. It’s kind of like the Toms shoes thing, only you just donate shoes,” Helfman said.
One of the bands playing will be junior Liam Murphy’s band “GoinDark.” “The whole idea of having a show with local New Trier bands is such a cool idea to us because we have the chance to share our music with our friends and peers. Its also seems like a great chance to network and meet other teen bands from the area,” said Murphy.
“GoinDark” is made up of 5 members. Murphy is the only one who attends New Trier.
“We all met taking a class at the Old Town School of Folk Music in Chicago,” Murphy said, “We soon decided to meet outside of class and that’s when we started writing original music.”
GoinDark has previously played venues like Rock House, Martyrs, and the Square Roots festival.
“The closest we can get to our genre is pop alternative rock. Think Paramore mixed with a bit of Red Hot Chili Peppers. We play mostly original songs, but who knows, we might play a cover or two,” said Murphy.
Band Together is currently looking for more bands to join “GoinDark” on stage. “All New Trier student bands should come our way on Thursdays at 3:30 in room 327. It’s a good launching pad for bands. They’re also volunteering their time when they know it goes to a good cause,” said Helfman.
There is a plethora of music for all students to listen to. Peterson said, “We have had everything from country singers to heavy metal bands play at Band Together. I don’t know what to expect to hear, but I do know that it is going to be a lot of fun.”
Band Together is one of the many projects Interact Club does throughout the year. “We raise money for Heifer International. We’ve had bake sales, walk-a-thons, we have also packed meals, and filled the food pantry. It’s just a lot of hands on activities. We’re big on raising awareness for different organizations and issues,” said Helfman.
Band Together exemplifies the type of service that resulted in the founding of Interact Club. Helfman said, “Our motto is service above self. Instead of donating a check, you gain more from giving your time and effort.”