SUN club gives back to the homeless community

New group promotes education, service amidst housing crisis
Fijol
SUN club members make sun butter sandwiches for Connections for the Homeless at a Tuesday meeting

When juniors Ben Wu and Teddy Kaczmarek saw a gap in the civic education of New Trier students, they decided to start a club to fix it. 

From this gap emerged the Support Our Underprivileged Neighbors (SUN) club, aimed at aiding the homeless population in neighboring communities through service and education. 

“We noticed there weren’t any clubs that had a combination of educating people about the issues in our community and also taking the time to help people in need,”  co-founder Wu said. “A lot of us don’t really know much about homelessness because we’re privileged enough to live in a place like this.”

We’re trying to create a community dedicated to service.

— Porter O’Brien

Kaczmarek found inspiration for the club’s creation in his service work at Connections for the Homeless, a social services organization in Evanston, Illinois that provides food, housing, and medical care to homeless people in the greater Chicago area. 

These connections have provided rich opportunities for SUN club members to learn about the housing crisis in America. In December, the club hosted program leader Felicia Brown from Connections for the Homeless, who discussed her involvement in volunteer work and how the program works with government officials and funding to strengthen its impact on the community. On Feb. 20, the club was joined by Hillary Caron, senior policy advisor at the Greater Chicago Food Depository

“I think it’s our responsibility as people to help others and to learn about the issues that are going on in our community,” Kaczmarek said.

The United States is currently in the midst of a severe housing crisis. This year, the Department of Housing and Urban Development reported a 12% increase in homelessness across the U.S. This is due to a number of complex factors, including a shortage in homes, rising home prices, and stagnant purchasing power, according to NPR. Nonprofit organizations looking to ease and eliminate homelessness depend on contributions from those who can make them.

Service projects, like coat drives and meal preparation, are staple features of SUN club meetings. At a recent meeting, the club made 75 sun butter and jelly sandwiches to donate to those in need. All donations are sent through organizations like Connections for the Homeless to guarantee a direct and positive impact on the community. 

SUN club boasts a tight-knit group of regular club members as well as a lighthearted atmosphere. The hour-long meeting was punctuated by frequent laughter and conversation, while retaining a focus on the weekly service activities planned by club leaders. The group has also partnered with Leaders 4 Change, another New Trier club, to widen the scope of their message. 

“We’re trying to create a community dedicated to service,” junior and SUN club member Porter O’Brien said. “[Wu] and [Kaczmarek] have brought in some great guest speakers that have really enlightened us about a topic we didn’t know much about.”

Other members shared a similar passion for service. 

“I joined because I thought it was a great way to get involved and help the community,” sophomore Tucker Simonds said.  

In the end, Wu emphasized that New Trier students should be conscious of their privileged position and find ways to use it as a platform for positive change. 

“SUN club is just a great opportunity for people to get out there and to learn about the things that are all of our responsibilities to know,” Wu said. 

The club meets on Tuesdays after school in room W413.

View Comments (5)

• J

John Nash
    Mar 7, 2024 at 5:34 pm

What a wonderful and important club! Thanks for the good work you are doing and thanks New Trier News for reporting this positive information!

Reply
  • A

Annie O’Brien
    Mar 7, 2024 at 4:16 pm

So proud of this club and the work these kids are doing!

Reply
  • H

Hank Woodman
    Mar 6, 2024 at 1:31 pm

Very good stuff. Him did a great job writing this.

Reply
  • H

Hank Woodman
    Mar 6, 2024 at 1:30 pm

Really good stuff. Him did a great job writing this.

Reply
  • B

Ben Wu
    Mar 6, 2024 at 1:14 pm

Wow. This is great work. Love this.

Reply