News Cues:

International: 

A polio outbreak in Syria prompted a six-month emergency vaccine program run by The World Health Organization. At least 22 people, most of them children 2 years and younger, are thought to have contracted polio. Polio was last seen in Syria in 1999, but the civil war has hindered vaccination efforts. Because the virus is endemic in Nigeria, Pakistan, and Afghanistan, it could easily be imported according to Dr. Shaffner, an infectious disease expert. Reports of acute flaccid paralysis, or a sign of the once eradicated virus, began to surface earlier this month in the highly crowded Deir Al Zour province. While there is no treatment, there is a polio vaccine. They will run an outbreak response immunization program throughout affected area but also in neighboring countries. It could take longer than 6 months depending on the course of the conflict and the extent of the outbreak.

National:

A white house official, Jofi Joseph, was fired after his twitter posts under anonymous handle @NatSecWonk were discovered. At his day job Joseph worked with arms proliferation, especially involving Iran, but after hours behind his computer he blasted public figures, reporters, and even his colleagues. He didn’t tweet national security secrets like details of new nuclear talks with Iran. The tweets usually consisted of petty complaining about people in both parties including digs on former secretary of state Hillary Clinton, Representative Darrell Issa, and others. “Just a hunch,” he said in a tweet, “but I have the sense lots of people would like to punch @joshrogin in the face.” Mr.Joseph was generally well respected and popular, so his secret life took colleagues by surprise. In response to his oust from the political field he says, “What started out as an intended parody account of D.C. culture developed over time into a series of inappropriate and mean spirited comments…I sincerely apologize to everyone I insulted.”

City: 

A student, who made an Internet threat against Niles Township High School District 219, now faces felony charges. His age was not disclosed. Principal of Niles West, Jason Ness, says Skokie police alerted officials of the school about the “nonspecific threat” last night Sunday, 10/27. There is no threat to the building according to Ness. However, in a message from Dr.Ness regarding the Internet threat made on Sunday night he says, “Such an incident is always alarming, and certainly more so because of the school context. It is important for our students and staff to understand that we take any threat seriously and will investigate the matter to the fullest extent.”