School board approves 2024-2025 school year calendar

Week-long Thanksgiving break makes its debut at NT
New Trier

In March, the Board of Education approved a revised calendar for the 2024-2025 school year. The revisions filled in a basic calendar published earlier in the year, adding events like final exams, parent-teacher conferences, and professional development days.

Gathering feedback in a second year of these things makes a great deal of sense.

— Paul Sally

Most significant among the announcements is the shifting of virtual parent-teacher conferences. Instead of having time off in early November, students and families will have the entire week of Thanksgiving off. At the March Board of Education meeting, Superintendent Paul Sally emphasized that this decision aligns New Trier’s break with local elementary and middle school districts, providing a benefit to the community.

The new calendar will continue to utilize consecutive late start and early dismissal days as an alternative to the early dismissal Fridays and late start Mondays that ended two years ago. Sally cited data collected by the school indicating that attendance rates with the old schedule were much lower, most likely due to families taking four day weekends. Consecutive half days incentivize strong attendance while fulfilling the number of school days required by the Illinois State Board of Education.

Sally also pointed out that early dismissal Fridays are not ideal for teachers. The implementation of consecutive late arrival days allows for more effective professional development days. 

The administration will conduct surveys over the course of the 2024-2025 school year to gauge students’ and families’ satisfaction with the calendar.

“Recognizing the feedback we heard, gathering feedback in a second year of these things makes a great deal of sense,” Sally said, addressing the Board of Education. “It will allow us to work through their pros and cons.”