What the News can teach you about high school

As you all know, this is my final week of high school. And while I’m excited to finally escape this iron prison of a school (totally kidding, Trevian for life) I can’t help but feel a little sad to be leaving New Trier’s most read non-satirical newspaper, the New Trier News.
However, I won’t be leaving empty-handed; in my three years on this critically-acclaimed newspaper, I have learned valuable lessons that will last a lifetime.
Below I have compiled a list of things I have learned while writing for the New Trier News:
1. Not as many people as you would expect read this newspaper. And they do not appreciate me constantly trying to force them to read it.
When I shove newspapers in people’s faces, the general reaction is, “Haha, this is weird, no thanks.”
My grandma is the probably the most avid reader of the New Trier News, but that has only lead to me getting cryptic texts such as “Don’t sell yourself short” and “Hoping your prom is magical and pregnant free.”
2. When people do read this newspaper, it’s to hone their editing skills. I expect the editing business to boom in about five years if the amount of students who pour over the newspaper looking for spelling errors is any indication.
I often get told, “You guys should really read the articles before you print them,” and “Maybe you guys should try editing some articles,” and “Moira, I hate you and everything you stand for.”
I try to explain that my power on the newspaper is minimal at best and I am not the best person to complain to. I am rarely there for layout, and when I am there, I just sit on a couch eating while whining about how late it is.
However, I always tell them that they should write a letter to the editor if they have a complaint, but they never do, which leads to my next point:
3. People never write letters to the editor. They will lie to you and say, “Oh yeah, I totally will, that’s a great idea. I love you.” But that letter will never be written.
All my trust issues stem from the “I-will-totally-write-a-letter-to-the-editor” lies I’ve been told. Next time you’re reading an article that get you riled up and ready to fight, go talk to one of the editors. Or text me about it. No one ever texts me.
5. People have very mixed feelings about the Destinations Issue. I knew some people loved it and others hated it. I did not know that some people really love it and others really hate it.
People either act like we’re printing letters from Santa Claus or like we’re on a mission to destroy everything good and happy in the world. Because it is my goal in life to have no one ever get mad at me, I will say that I have no strong feelings towards the Destinations Issue.
But I will recommend that if you have a problem with it, you should try writing a letter to the editor.
And as a closing message to all the underclassmen, who have to trudge through one to three more years of high school, remember this: rushed work is the best kind of work.
This is the most magical lesson of all. If you take your time on something, who knows what can go wrong? Every one of my papers was written between twelve hours and forty minutes before it was due, but without the New Trier News I never would have believed enough in my ability to rush things to take those risks.
So thank you, New Trier News, for showing me that I can get things done last minute without proofreading and still succeed—if a low B counts as succeeding.