Say no to lakefront referendum

In our world today, everyone forgets how easily and quickly our actions negatively impact the environment.
Humans are degrading some of the Earth’s most precious resources and at the rate we are going, this world will get to a point where it won’t be able to satisfy every individual with the supplies necessary for life.
My biggest concern is that humans are making the decision to destruct habitats for their own purposes too quickly without thinking of the consequences.
The problem is that people on the North Shore live in a bubble that is so isolated from the real world that sometimes we forget about the world’s environmental issues.
Think about it. There are humans in other countries and even other parts of the United States who struggle each day just to find clean water because of all different forms of pollution.
There are even people who live in complete fear each day because the air that they breathe is contaminated.
Yet, on the North shore, we take for granted how privileged we are to live in the location that we do. Most of us here overlook the smaller scale environmental issues in our own backyard.
One specific issue is the Lakefront referendum, which refers to the proposal for the building of recreational facilities on some of the North Shore’s most popular communal beach fronts.
Many who support this proposition are solely looking at how it could benefit them with more recreational activities rather than understanding the true negative impacts of this project.
Even with little education about ecosystems, I think most could realize that this is a clear form of habitat destruction.
The project itself is expected to cost the Wilmette Park District 14.5 million dollars.
Honestly, I think it’s a harmful and useless way for the district to spend their money. There are so many species such as the native dune grasses, the swamp milkweed plant, and many more that rely on this environment to live. By destroying this habitat, the project is essentially leaving these species in an unstable environment.
The larger issue is that if some species in the lakefront environment are completely removed, the food chain is disrupted. The lakefronts are not only used by humans. People have to remember that the beaches are home to many plant and animal species as well.
Another problem is that the beachfronts would have to go through primary succession because the construction will have completely disturbed the soil quality and its ability to develop easily back to its normal state.
The organisms that previously occupied the area will also have to slowly, but surely adapt to the new environment.
Many people are pushing for this project, leaving the negative environmental issues out of their minds. I think it’s crucial for people on the North Shore to do their part in preserving the natural beauty and stable environment of the Wilmette lakefront.
Yes, compared to places around the world, this issue pales in comparison, but it’s still necessary to take it just as seriously.