College is scary

Bella Geroulis, Opinions Editor

This past Tuesday morning, the whole senior class gathered in the Gaffney to listen to attorney C.L Lindsay speak about legal issues many college students face whilst away at school.

Lindsay covered a plethora of issues, ranging from drinking and smoking all the way to plagiarism and sexting.

However, the one topic that I think stuck in most people’s minds was the issue of sexual assault on college campuses.

He talked about cases that he’s covered involving date rape, lack of consent, and even statutory rape.

As New Trier has begun to prepare seniors for college, it’s unfortunate how many conversations are about sexual assault rather than being away from home or other challenges college life brings with it.

Reading the statistics about sexual assault on campuses, I’m sure many people would rather just stay inside for four years.

It’s frightening to think about just how often and how socially acceptable it is to objectify women.

As a young woman, I, along with most women, have experienced some level of sexual harassment, whether it be verbal or physical.

It’s degrading being objectified and the fear that I might get slipped something or served too much has at times stopped me from doing things I otherwise would have done.

Although those concerns are valid, shouldn’t we be learning about other aspects of college that we’re all bound to face?

I don’t know how my academics will change in college, or how to budget my time and money.

I wish these were the things we learned about before college too and not just spend the whole of four quarter on an issue that while is vitally important, may not affect everyone.

That’s not to belittle the efforts  New Trier has made to bring the issue of sexual assault on college campuses to light.

Just by having this conversation we are already changing people’s views of what is and what is not okay.

It’s just when I think about college, I’m scared. But not because I’m afraid I’ll be victim to an act of sexual assault. I’m not going to college to drink every weekend and party all the time. I want to go to college and use my time there to my fullest advantage.

I want to do well in my classes and learn how to live on my own and make meaningful relationships, and as of right now I don’t feel like I’m ready to do any of that.

Of course that’s partly a personal journey, but if we could learn some of that instead of focusing just on the very severe dangers of college, I think we would all be much better off after we graduate.

Most people do not rape. Most people know how to respect women. Though the dangers of sexual assault are nothing to take lightly, there’s so much more to college that we should be excited and prepared for.