Boys hockey loses to Loyola at Quad Header

New Trier loses 5-0 in first Quad Header of the year

Defenders protecting senior goalie Hayden Wieczorek | Victory Views

Jack Soble, Sports Editor

New Trier Hockey’s Green Team fell to Loyola 5-0 in the first of two Quad Headers, this one hosted by the Ramblers.

The Trevians fell behind 3-0 in the first period and could never get themselves out of that hole.

“I felt our team was ready to play. However, Loyola has an outstanding team this year,” said Green Head Coach Bob Melton. “Our team settled down after that and I thought we played pretty well but we just could not seem to get a puck past the Loyola goalie who is one of the best in the state.”

Junior Forward Bobby Soudan leads the team with 25 goals, 51 points and plus-minus 24.

“The whole team was focused before the game and really fired up, but Loyola had a good start in the first period and scored a few goals so they gained the momentum. From there on it was hard to gain it back,” Soudan said.

Senior Forward Brendan Michelon, who is second on the team with 38 penalty minutes, had a different idea of his team’s preparedness.

“We didn’t come out focused, and we lost the game,” he said.

Senior Forward Costa Pavlopoulos agreed, “Loyola is a really good team and you have to get off to a good start if you want to beat them. We weren’t able to get off to the start we wanted and we were never able to come back from it.”

The Quad Header, an event where 4 hockey teams from Loyola and New Trier battle on the ice, is certainly marked on each school’s calendar.

“The quad header is one of the biggest hockey games, if not the biggest, hockey game of the season for all four New Trier teams that participate in it,” said Pavlopoulos.

It isn’t just the players who sense the fierce rivalry between the two teams and the two schools in general.

“The rivalry between the two schools dates back many years and the student body from each school comes out in full force to make it one of the most exciting games,” said Melton.

While New Trier has always had a successful hockey program, it has never had a stretch of success quite like the one they’re currently enjoying.

4 of the past 5 seasons have ended in hoisting the State Championship Trophy at the United Center in Chicago, and the team is well aware that expectations are high.

“Of course the goal is to win another state championship, but that’s our end goal for the whole season,” said Pavlopoulos. “Our team has to focus on each game and getting better as a team and if we do that then I believe come playoff time we will be in a good position to win the state championship again.”

While the loss to Loyola hurts, New Trier still has confidence.

“Our team has used this as motivation and we’re off to a fresh start. Everyone has been putting everything they can into the team and working really hard. In the end I think it will pay off,” said Soudan.

However, the Green Team also knows that their road to a title is a long one and it starts with the second Quad Header, which will be held at home in Wilmette Centennial Ice Arena on Dec 3.

“Of course the major goal is state but that’s in March,” said Michelon. “We’ve got a ways to go, starting with some Rambled eggs on Sunday.”