New state requirement brings mandatory fitness testing

Students, including varsity athletes, will be required to take fitness test

Maya Kowitt, News Editor

A new state requirement implemented this fall, requires all students participating in physical education in the state of Illinois to do fitness testing.

The new law was created to monitor the fitness levels of Illinois youth over time, by having them perform various fitness tests and then recording their results to assess how physically fit individual students are.

The fitness test consists of push-ups, sit-ups, sit and reach, and the pacer.

Many students may recall some of these tests from their experience with fitness testing back in middle school.

Junior Alli Schwartz recalls when they had to do similar tests, and then recorded their scores every fall and spring.

“Those who performed very well on their test would receive a shirt for achieving the ‘Presidential Fitness Award’ and those who met the national requirement would receive a certificate. This motivated people to try hard for fitness testing and take it seriously,” Schwartz said.

Kinetic Wellness teacher, Michael Napoleon, is one of the teachers at New Trier that now has to enforce these new physical education requirements, and ensure that his students are putting up results that accurately determine their fitness.

“From what I’ve heard students aren’t putting forth a ton of effort into these tests, but I am going to make sure that all of my students try their best to apply themselves to these tests,” Napoleon said.

Schwartz believes this lack of motivation comes from the frustration that students have with this new state requirement, since most have not had to perform a fitness test since middle school.

Varsity athletes and who are exempt from KW are expected to come back and take a fitness test during their free or KW period, along with KW leaders who must perform the tests alongside their kinetic wellness class.

Napoleon noted that since this is a state requirement, teachers will have makeup dates to ensure everyone participates in the fitness testing.

Sophomore Jenna Katlin also has to do fitness testing, even though she takes dance to fill her KW requirement.

Though Katlin stated she is not fond of the new state law, she says that she is glad that the fitness tests don’t include the mile run.

“We had to run the mile in middle school and I always hated it. I just don’t think a number or score should determine whether you’re healthy or not,” Katlin said.

Napoleon acknowledged the reason why the state has created this new law is to get data on where the students are as far as fitness goes.

“I just wonder how these results are going to be used. Is it going to say ‘we have some out of shape students so we have to do this’. Or are they going to put new things into our curriculum to push students to be more fit. I’m curious as to how the state is going to use these results.”

Elissa Bassler, executive director of the Illinois Alliance to Prevent Obesity and CEO of the Illinois Public Health Institute, said this new legislation is a way to address the obesity epidemic in children.

According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, childhood obesity in the United States has more than doubled in children and tripled in adolescents in the past 30 years.

The startling statistic is why the state now requires fitness testing. Despite these facts students still don’t see the neccessity of the testing.

“No one tries in KW. No one wants to sweat.” said senior Isabelle Sennet

Junior Lawrence Webb feels that students aren’t going to try in the fitness tests because they believes that what they do in kinetic wellness is sufficient enough.

Though students like senior Ryan McGuinness question, “Why does the state need to know how many push-ups I can do?” Napoleon stands by his opinion that this health-related physical fitness assessment is important in determining Illinois youth’s healthy fitness zone.