Clothesline exhibit opens at opportune time

Through the use of t-shirts, Shannon Sloan is spreading awareness about domestic violence and violence against women.
Sloan is the person who brings the Clothesline Project to New Trier, an anti-domestic violence art exhibit where victims of domestic abuse or friends of victims share their stories by writing them on a t-shirt.
Each color on the t-shirt represents a different kind of story. For example, a story on a white t-shirt represents a story that talks about a victim who has died as a result of violence. A story on a yellow t-shirt represents a story about a victim who was “battered or assaulted.”
“The Clothesline Project is about victims or people who are close to victims sharing their stories and how that has affected their lives, to show violence against women,” said Sloan.
The Clothesline Project could not have come to New Trier at a more appropriate time. Domestic violence has been at the forefront of the national spotlight, as NFL players like Ray Rice and Jonathan Dwyer have been shamed by the media for the abuse of their spouses.
Minnesota Vikings star running back Adrian Peterson has also been pushed into the spotlight. Not for his amazing play on the field, but for the abuse of his son.
Sloan said this isn’t the first time the Clothesline Project has been shown at a high school. In fact, the Clothesline Project has toured the Chicagoland area at various schools and has come to New Trier every other year for the past 18 years.
“I go to a different school every day,” said Sloan, “but I’m here [at New Trier] for two weeks.”
Schools such as Barrington High School and Oak Park/River Forest have also held the exhibit and have had students contribute their stories to the project.
The Clothesline Project shares many powerful stories about victims of rape, sexual assault, and even murder. Sloan said that she hasn’t had difficulty getting students to share their stories with her to add to the Clothesline Project.
“Whenever we show this project I give students the opportunity to contribute. The stories are mostly just naming these events, but that creates a sense of safety, and students feel like they can approach someone that has been through the same thing they have been through,” said Sloan.
The reception of the exhibit has been excellent according to Sloan, who said that a lot of teachers have really found the exhibit powerful.
Teachers have taken time out of their classes to show students the significance of this issue, many saying that this exhibit has been a great way to spark conversations about domestic violence and educate students on the topic.
“I want [my advisory] to be aware that this could happen to them or their friends and have them think about what they would do if it did happen to them,” said Michael Christenson, a senior girls advisor and social studies teacher.
Andy Horne, a health teacher, said “I think a lot of the kids were overwhelmed. If there was one word to descirbe it, it would be powerful. I hope that they realize that this happens everywhere and it’s a social issue that effects everyone. I think the kids gained more awarness.”
According to Sloan, her main goal is spreading awareness about domestic violence. While the t-shirts tell real stories that are both powerful and sad, they are there to help students prevent these horrible events from happening to them or their loved ones.
“In my opinion, this is one of the most misunderstood things in our society, and I hope to educate people and help them to understand this issue,” said Sloan.
“I want those who have been affected by domestic violence to know that they are not alone, and I want to help them reach out to other resources to get through this.”
The Clothesline Project is at the Ann Brierly Gallery, closed Oct.10.