Referendum prompts changes, debate

Referendum prompts changes, debate

Most students at New Trier have heard about the $100 million referendum, also known as the Winnetka Campus Facilities Project, which is set for a vote on Nov. 4.

Last year there was plenty of preliminary discussion about the feasibility of this renovation project and its plans, but now it is time for the community to have a say.

The referendum, if passed, would consist of the demolition of three buildings on the Winnetka campus and the construction of several new facilities, including a library and cafeteria and new spaces for the art, music, theater, and speech programs. Twenty-seven standard classrooms would be added for English, social studies, and math classes, along with three new science labs.

“I think that this is a great project because it makes efficient use of the space on the west side of the campus,” said New Trier Superintendent Linda Yonke. The current buildings proposed for demolition take up a total of 125,000 square feet, and the renovations would use this same space to create buildings which bring that total to 268,000 square feet.

Aside from the extended space, the renovation would provide students and staff with many other perks. “The project would make the whole campus accessible for students, staff, and visitors with disabilities – something that is a huge challenge in the current buildings,” said Winnetka Campus Principal Denise Dubravec.

In addition, the buildings would provide more energy efficient heating and cooling systems, better fire safety with sprinklers, and more secure entrances to the school.

As with any large project, there are concerns. Of the proposed project’s cost of $100 million, $11 million would be taken from New Trier’s reserves. This leaves township taxpayers to cover $89 million in bonds. According to Yonke, the impact on individual taxpayers comes out to about $16.67 per $1000 of taxes. These tax increases will be active for twenty years.

Another concern with the project is how the construction will influence student life. Construction is proposed to take place over two years, 2015-2016 and 2016-2017, with some displacement of students and their classrooms.

There will be trailers and temporary classrooms with suitable conditions and workspaces, but these spaces will mostly be used by tech arts and art classes. Many students will not be displaced by the construction at all.

Throughout the planning of this project, safety has been widely considered. According to the administration, student safety is a top priority, and many precautions will be taken. “The construction area will be completely barred off from students and constantly monitored for noise and air quality. Basically, we will try to make school life as normal and comfortable as we possibly can while still building a new building,” said Dubravec.

According to the administration the construction company chosen for this renovation is also experienced in these types of projects, where they must do such major construction while still allowing people to work nearby.

Many underclassmen at New Trier today will have to live through the construction if the referendum passes, but the main question right now is whether it will pass or not. Leaders of the project want to make sure that everyone is as informed as possible.

“We welcome questions, presentations, anybody who would like for me or someone else to come in and talk about the project,” said Yonke. “We want to make sure people have accurate information about what the project is, why we’re doing it, and how much it costs.”

Anyone can find out more about the referendum through New Trier’s website under the link “Winnetka Campus Facilities Project.”