Harlan Coben does it again

Despite questionable casting, limited series manages to thrill audience
Netflix

Fool Me Once, a new Netflix TV show that managed to climb its way up to number one on the charts, is a single-season psychological thriller/mystery. The show features Maya Stern, a tarnished war hero, uncovering the truth about the recent murders of her sister and husband. At first, Fool Me Once focuses on many leads, stories, and people. However, it all comes together in a satisfying way in the end. In my opinion, this series is worth watching because it is short, suspenseful, and creative.

The ambiance  of each scene was able to convey a feeling about the people in it, and it added a lot of depth to the characters.

In a very Harlan Coben fashion, this show (which is based off of his book, Fool Me Once), includes many plot twists so I really had no clue as to what was happening until the very end, which kept me interested. After finishing the series, I realized how many misleading scenes the directors included in the show, which only added to the suspense.

One of my favorite red-herrings is when the clues in the show made us question whether Maya’s husband, one of the murder victims, was really dead. It added a whole other element– one where we questioned the sanity of Maya, and therefore, questioned the basic facts that we thought we knew about her and her life. Coben added in many scenes like this– ones where we got thrown off in unpredictable ways– and it just shows how well-thought out this mystery was.

In psychological thrillers, the aesthetics of the show are not always considered because the main focus is normally the story itself. However, Fool Me Once was filmed in Manchester, England, and there are many beautiful scenes and sets included in the show, whether it is mansions, drives, or helicopter rides. The sets always seemed to match with whatever was happening in the show. The houses seemed very livable and realistic for the people in their tax bracket, and its scenery made it seem very real. The sets were modern, which tied into some smaller themes of the show like technology and innovation, and the mansion belonging to Maya’s mother-in-law was both beautiful and disconcerting. The ambiance  of each scene was able to convey a feeling about the people in it, and it added a lot of depth to the characters.

My main complaint about the show is the acting in it. Some lines seem choppy or incomplete, and the delivery was not always perfect. I am not sure if this was because the actors were bad, or if the writing put them at a disadvantage. In particular, I didn’t like the performance of Adeel Akhtar and Dino Ferscher, both of whom played detectives in the murder of Maya’s husband.  

Either way, the questionable acting at times is not a reason not to watch the show. I am someone who is very bothered by bad dialogue normally, and it was definitely not a dealbreaker for the show at all. If you are looking for something to binge that’s not a huge commitment,  Fool Me Once is a great option.

View Comments (39)

• D

Diane Spoelstra
    Feb 16, 2024 at 6:17 pm

I enjoyed this series… suspenseful till the end. Have recommended watching it.

Reply
  • S

Stephanie
    Feb 16, 2024 at 8:23 am

I binge watched it!! I thought it was great!!

Reply
  • M

Maureen Cerny
    Feb 15, 2024 at 11:46 pm

That is how I see many of his films low budget and choppy

Reply
  • R

Renee Young
    Feb 15, 2024 at 10:29 pm

Loved it! The characters were complex, the plot twisted, the acting excellent.

Reply
  • L

Lynne Elvy
    Feb 15, 2024 at 8:17 pm

I loved Fool Me Once so much I BINGED.
    I’ve recommended this series to everyone.
    Lynne Elvy
    Australia

Reply
  • A

Ali
    Feb 15, 2024 at 8:15 pm

Is not that good as you saying, for sure I watched much better mini tv shows, I think they lost the collectors like the Nanny and her husband or whatever he was , even her best friend and the reporter guy , all these people were suspicious for no reason, and the Joe family , makeing audience confuse is not something you will fool more than once to watch

Reply
  • J

John
    Feb 15, 2024 at 6:35 pm

This was an excellent series and the lead actress does an outstanding job in particular but several notable supporting roles are done well also. It’s a hit!

Reply
  • D

Diane Ellis
    Feb 15, 2024 at 3:33 pm

Absolutely loved the series.

Reply
  • A

Ann
    Feb 15, 2024 at 3:26 pm

Enjoyed watching this TV series eith my family. It was fun guessing who the guilty one/s were. Watched every Harlan Corben series on Netflix.

Reply
  • C

Cindi
    Feb 15, 2024 at 3:23 pm

Talk about glued to the television. The suspense was great it keeps you wanting more and this series delivers.
    I loved watching this show.

Reply
  • C

Carla
    Feb 15, 2024 at 1:56 pm

I agree. A total must watch. My 22 year old granddaughter told I had to watch it. I’m glad she did!

Reply
  • W

WhiskeyJane
    Feb 15, 2024 at 1:41 pm

Great! Harlan is the best! We enjoyed Shelter Loved that it was filmed in Jersey

Reply
  • P

Patricia
    Feb 15, 2024 at 1:00 pm

Super nice serie!!!

Reply
  • P

Pauline
    Feb 15, 2024 at 11:47 am

The only thing I didn’t like was I couldn’t understand the language was hard to understand and too fast speaking.
    All in all I thought it was a good layout. Thumbs up.

Reply
  • T

Terry Martin
    Feb 15, 2024 at 11:44 am

Don’t have flix but I’m not impressed with reviews but anyway when flix brings the prices down a milliliter or 8 I’ll reconsider.

Reply
  • C

Cobi
    Feb 15, 2024 at 11:22 am

The HC shows are all mostly good, … but the foul language is completely unnecessary, especially expressed by children, and the sex scenes are pornographic. Unfortunately, Netflix doesn’t do tasteful.

Reply
    • T

TDOA
      Feb 15, 2024 at 11:56 pm

Sex scenes???? I must have been watching a different series! Fool me could have used some sex, for some tension relief. Lol. And teens who don’t use foul language, in what universe is that? And when you are angry or upset in real life you never throw out an expletive or two?

Reply
  • J

Joan E LaBine
    Feb 15, 2024 at 11:04 am

Loved it!! It was definitely worth watching.

Reply
  • J

John Dubuque
    Feb 15, 2024 at 9:57 am

Love the Harlan coven novels!
    Some, but not all, the films veer off track from the novels.
    Nevertheless, always a good nail biter!

Reply
  • K

Kim
    Feb 15, 2024 at 9:56 am

Watched all of the Harlan Corben adaptations on Netflix. The Woods and The Innocent are the best IMO. Skip Gone For Good – not interesting and the main character is the worst casting I have seen in some time. I questioned why his adaptations are set in Europe rather than in the US (like his books are). A Google search revealed he particularly likes working with European casts and crews. It would be nice to see one set in the US, though.

Reply
  • D

David Merritt
    Feb 15, 2024 at 9:02 am

An incoherent mess with people being irrational in furtherance of the plot. Harlen Cobin is a apparently a master of dreck. Avoid.

Reply
    • J

Jaime
      Feb 15, 2024 at 9:30 am

I agree

Reply
  • D

Don and Beckie Stage
    Feb 15, 2024 at 8:45 am

Loved the movie it was Great 👍👍👍

Reply
  • L

Lisa Diane
    Feb 15, 2024 at 8:44 am

This was excellent! And that twist!! It didn’t disappoint!

Reply
  • D

Debi Tabor
    Feb 15, 2024 at 8:44 am

My first encounter with this author. Wow! What a ride. Just one question…how does his creative mind work!?! Then my husband and I watched every video.

Reply
  • C

Carolyn Adams
    Feb 15, 2024 at 8:41 am

Very good series. I enjoyed all the acting and suspenseful story line. I was hooked after the first episode.

Reply
  • L

leonraymond mitchell
    Feb 15, 2024 at 7:12 am

I guess I fell too much in Love with the Lead Character because I just hated the Ending. Hated it! I loved the entire storyline but I felt they could have faked her death

Reply
  • C

Chele
    Feb 15, 2024 at 6:32 am

As a huge fan of Coben via his books, especially his Myron Bolitar series, you get to know not only the character but the locale. Some of the stand alone novels can be moved to alternate locations and made to work, while others really need to have the mystique that surrounds the intended locale. Placing this one in the UK was fine and I liked the quirky detectives. But the “Shelter” series based on book 1 of Coben’s Mickey Bolitar series did a great job in establishing the neighborhood from the books. It’s so familiar to readers that when Coben made reference to it in a non-Bolitar book, you just knew where you were without ever hearing the town name. When they begin with the Myron Bolitar series the feel of the town is as magical as finding the right Lee Child’s Jack Reacher was, let alone the main characters of Myron and Win.

Reply
  • T

TM
    Feb 15, 2024 at 6:19 am

Fool Me Once was the first Harlan Coben mini-series that I’ve ever watched. While I was initially intrigued by the style and format, the series fell flat with too many plot holes and a poor ending. Still, it was entertaining and kept my attention. Luckily I found better continuity in his series called The Stranger. (Not to be confused with the movie called The Stranger.) If you haven’t seen it on Netflix, be sure to do so.

Reply
  • B

BERNADETTE JANE ROOS
    Feb 15, 2024 at 5:49 am

I loved Fool Me Once……but Enjoyed The Stranger and Safe more👍

Reply
  • J

Joshua
    Feb 15, 2024 at 4:41 am

Overrated. The plot was chaotic, which can be employed skullfully, but in this series it seemed the director was making it up episode-by-episode. The lead character, Maya, was not believable – poorly acted. Waste of a few hours.

Reply
    • K

Kate
      Feb 15, 2024 at 8:55 am

I agree. A mother would never get herself killed. And why was the sister investigating the company. Was she at such a high level that she had access to clinical trial data?

Reply
  • K

Kev
    Feb 15, 2024 at 4:09 am

Being an avid Harlan fan, the thing that I enjoyed most, was I found this series eclipsed the book. Using a British favourite, Joanna Lumley in a second adaptation, was brilliant.

Reply
  • D

Debangshu Saha
    Feb 15, 2024 at 12:49 am

I have watched it . Not that great frankly . I would give it a 6 /10 .

Reply
  • B

Billy
    Feb 14, 2024 at 6:35 pm

I like the stories/films. They require attention to keep up with the plot twists, which takes some patience. But once they get going…..pretty sneaky.

Reply
  • R

Raffaello Di Meglio
    Feb 14, 2024 at 1:16 pm

One of the worst mini series on Netflix. I expected bette from a British tv series.

Reply
    • M

Madeline
      Feb 14, 2024 at 3:20 pm

Harlan coben is not British he’s American and based in New jersey.
      All of his novels are based in a small town in New Jersey across the bridge from New York city. I don’t know why they’ve taken these worldwide however I agree with you this was my least favorite series by him. Check out all the others he’s done on netflix.

Reply
    • G

G.K.Stephens
      Feb 14, 2024 at 9:40 pm

I have seen better Harlan Coben series. For half of the show I really didn’t know what was going on, it was all over the place. I watched the second half off the series over 2 days and yes lots of red herrings which I found to be too many and confusing. Acting by the detectives was good, I thought. Akteel played the part well, especially as someone who was experiencing strange neurological symptoms. He often plays quirky characters and I like his acting. His character kept me interested. Ultimately it comes to a satisfying conclusion.

Reply
    • C

Cathy
      Feb 15, 2024 at 2:49 pm

Was just OK. A bit all over the shop. Couldn’t empathise or sympathise with the lead character, wasn’t likeable or believable. Wouldn’t recommend it.

Reply