High Five choir gets festive for the holidays

This Friday, Dec. 19, the High Five Choir will perform their annual holiday sing during 4th period.
During the holiday sing, the students will perform holiday favorites including Walking in a Winter Wonderland, Feliz Navidad, All I Want for Christmas is You, and Chanukah, O Chanukah.
Katherine Spain, special education student, said, “I’m really excited because my parents are coming to see.” Her partner, junior Sophie Stempel, added “I am very excited for the holiday sing and I hope a lot of people get the opportunity to come and watch.” The Holiday sing is one of the 5 concerts the choir performs each year.
High Five is a group of students of all abilities coming together through music to build and create friendships while also raising disability awareness in the school and outside community, according to High Five music director Susan Vaughan.
There are currently 70 members in the choir, an impressive increase since its original group of 35. The choir began almost 10 years ago, in the fall of 2005. With the help of the administration, music and special education departments, Vaughan and Jane Che (a special education teacher) created the choir, according to Vaughan.
“For two years, Mrs. Che, myself, and students volunteered our time every day to meet and have class. High Five became an official New Trier course in the fall of 2007,” said Vaughan. Since then, the choir has increased and become a team, partnering with 70 different High Five students of all abilities.
“One of the most rewarding things I do at New Trier is serving as the High Five choir music director,” said Vaughan.
Students who participate in the choir also find it to be a rewarding experience. Senior Katherine Mayer is the SILC for the class, and she enjoys building meaningful friendships within the choir. “My partner, Susie, and I went to Homer’s for lunch a few weekends ago, and we had a great time,” said Mayer.
Other members have made connections outside of the classroom as well. “My partner and I have created a special connection for sure. We hang out outside of class now too, which is great. I feel like I have gotten to know all of the students a lot better,” said Stempel.
In addition to making connections outside of the classroom, students add that the class makes their day. “I think that the High Five choir is a place where students can come everyday and have fun. I have always been able to leave my worries at the door, and I hope that everyone who participates in high five feels this way too,” said Mayer.
Junior Jordy Richman said, “I love seeing how excited my partner gets about singing new songs and how happy he is while he is singing.” The choir has received very positive feedback from the staff, students, and especially the students’ families, said Vaughan.
“The High Five Choir is not an “us and them” mentality when it comes to abilities. It’s a community of amazing young people who realizes possibility in one another,” said Vaughan.
Everyone is encouraged to attend the concert on Friday. Students who have gone in the past have given it extraordinary reviews.
“I’m really excited to see their performance this year. It’s definitely not something you want to miss,” said junior Clare Foley.