The season of spray tans

Last week I took a look around my classroom and noticed that a few girls must’ve taken spontaneous trips to Mexico over the weekend. Then I remembered an upcoming event that always seems to brighten the faces of girls around me, literally.

Turnabout is an exciting dance because girls ask boys, every grade is allowed to attend, and, like Homecoming, Juniors and Seniors dress in fun themes. But it’s during winter, which may cause some to complain. Not me! Because luckily we have spray tans. The spray tans are terrific because they bring a summer feel back to the school when we’re all feeling pretty down about the weather.

It makes me feel like we’ve transported back to the first week of school, and in the best way possible. Can’t you smell the new fall sandals and school supplies in the air?

For those of you who don’t know, I only get freckles when I try to tan. I am, therefore, only jealous and slightly admirable of those who come back after summer vacation gleaming bronze and pretty.

But because the sun is actually out during the begining months of school, I can contain my jealousy.

Dont get me wrong, my opinion on tanning in general is that it is awesome. If you think you look prettier certain ways, then why not undergo something to make you more confident? If I could get tan, I would.

And, tanning year round makes sense. It’s like getting trims year round. Once in a while you may opt for a new do completely chopping off 8 inches for a mid-bob look. But people will notice this change. Everyone will. And it’s not very organic but it’s fine because people get haircuts and that’s normal.

However, if you show up one day to school 16 shades darker, people are bound to notice. And it’s a tad more awkward than a haircut. And by a “tad” I mean “wow someone fell in orange paint.”

Again, my Leah jealousy is coming out because I just want to be tan too. Then again I barely have the time to wash my hair so I don’t think I should try and step up my beauty rituals at this point.

Also I know it is possible to get a tan that doesn’t turn you orange; I’ve just had one bad experience, okay guys.

Tanning yourself year round makes more sense. Then, you have your known color. It may not look or even seem natural but at least everyone sees you with a darker complexion all the time, whereas spray tanning every once in a while for a dance is a random and uncomfortable change. Especially in winter, a sudden tan just seem ridiculous unless you’ve just traveled to a warm place.

And again, there are no long breaks before Turnabout.

One might say something like “I want my pictures to look, like, really good, ya know.” Well, person who might say this: think about all of the other parts that go into getting ready for dances.

From manicures and pedicures to hair and makeup and now: spray tanning. When does prepping for a school dance go too far?

Adding in other logistics such as, “are other girls in my group getting one?” ‘Will our dates look like heliophobiacs compared to us?” may make you rethink.

When it comes down to it, maybe we shouldn’t be so quick to enhance ourselves for a school dance.