Evanston’s Cheesie’s redefines grilled cheese

Expectations were high from the very beginning. How could they not be? A place called Cheesie’s that specializes in permutations of the Great American grilled cheese: what could go wrong? Not much.
Expectations were, indeed, met on that Friday afternoon at Cheesie’s Pub and Grub on 622 Davis St. in Evanston.
The menu, while initially overwhelming with so many spins on the traditional combination of cheese and bread, could satisfy any food lover, as long as there is no aversion to, well, cheese. There are 11 different types of grilled cheese offered at Cheesie’s. One might ask, how this is possible? How could these 11 sandwiches not become repetitive? Well, let’s begin.
These sandwiches range from a traditional cheese on bread to one filled with jalapeños and chorizo. The former, called The Original, is $4.50 while the latter, The Tradición, is a steeper $8.00.
The Classic, a sandwich with Merkt’s cheddar cheese, American cheese, tomatoes, ham and bacon on Texas Toast served with a tomato soup dipping sauce, was the most memorable. It had the flavors of a traditional, home-cooked, grilled cheese with the simple additions of the pig.
Then there was The Melt a creative combination of American cheese, Chihuahua cheese, marinated chicken breast, bacon, Thousand Island, and tomato on Texas toast. Though very popular that day, it proved to be too many competing flavors, adding up to a heavy, overloaded sandwich.
Another option was The Caprese, which just like the popular Caprese salad, featured mozzarella, tomatoes, and fresh basil on sour dough bread served with a creamy pesto mayo dipping sauce. This sandwich, while again, still delicious, was the most boring of the sandwiches. It would be better if the dipping sauce was, instead, a spread on the sandwich.
The final sandwich was the abovementioned one called The Tradición. This one has Chihuahua cheese, chorizo, and jalapeños on Texas toast and is served with a spicy chipotle mayo dipping sauce. It is probably the option farthest from the traditional grilled cheese. It is quite spicy with both the flavorful chorizo and the fresh-cut jalapeños. This option is for those who consider themselves to be risk-takers of the palate.
After deciding which sandwich to indulge in, the decisions are far from over. There are, of course, an array of appetizers, all of which are not for the faint of heart, or rather, for those with heart problems. These items all share one common theme—they are fried (don’t pretend to be so surprised).
There are the best-selling deep fried pickle slices, which were one of the many highlights of the meal. The pickle slices were crispy, yet still incredibly flavorful and topped off with a creamy ranch dipping sauce.
Honorable mention goes to the loaded tater tots, cheese curds, chicken tender bites, and fried mac n’ cheese bites, all $5. Again, anyone could find something to eat here, except those looking for a healthy option.
There is a side salad on the menu, but for those actually considering that, there is a Panera a couple blocks away that would probably be a better option.
A surprising highlight was the chicken enchilada soup, a creamy, authentic, and somewhat spicy soup. This serves as a tasty option for those looking for a break from all the bread and cheese.
As for dessert, this is something to stay away from. Not that the fried cheesecake bites topped with strawberry or chocolate sauce were bad. But, at this point in the meal there can’t be much room left in one’s stomach for this odd mix of savory and sweet.
Stepping away from the food for just a second, the staff and the environment at Cheesie’s were also highlights. It is not a sit-down restaurant where diners are waited on, but the order clerks were extremely friendly and helpful in decoding the large menu.
Cheesie’s is decorated with vintage Coca Cola signs mounted on the vibrant orange and yellow walls that are also adorned with chalk boards, inviting patrons to express themselves and their love for the restaurant.
A word of advice regarding the after-effects of a meal at Cheesie’s Pub and Grub: do not plan any sort of activity that requires even a minimal amount of energy after indulging in the above foods.
The best option is to plan the next couple of hours for the couch, as the lethal combination of cheese, bread, and all the extras tends to leave people in a drowsy, guilty state, commonly known as a food coma.