QuizUp keeps you guessing

QuizUp, the hottest app store quiz game, is trying to assert its dominance as the new “social” diversion. Much like the apps Words with Friends and the new Madden 25, QuizUp is able to hold its own among the competition.

For those who don’t know, QuizUp is claiming to be “The Biggest Trivia Game in the World!” It does hold up its “biggest” end of the bargain, having over 180 topics that range from Logos to Name that Flag, to even a topic as specific as Miley Cyrus.

QuizUp pits you and another player against each other in a given topic. Each player gets ten seconds to select an answer from four different choices. The faster you answer the question, the more points you win. Whoever has the most points at the end of seven questions wins, with the last question being worth double points. The game is fast paced, requiring quick reaction times to answer the questions.

After each game, you earn “experience points,” and when you get enough experience points in that topic, you gain a level. However this level is nothing but superficial, as the only thing that happens when you gain a level in a certain topic is getting paired with people of that same level. You do earn a ridiculous nickname as well. For instance, in earlier levels, you most likely hold the title of “Novice.” However, the names become more and more insane, ranging from things like “The One with the Thumb” or “Dough Boy.”

However, you don’t have to be pitted against random people when you play; you can also connect to Facebook and challenge your friends. If you don’t have a Facebook account or don’t want to connect to it, you can create an account and give friends your username.

The variety of topics prevents QuizUp from becoming stale. However, the problem with having all of these topics is while they are available, you tend to gravitate towards a few of the same topics and stick to those, instead of branching out and trying all of the topics.

Another flaw that comes with the game having so many topics is that, for the more specific topics, the questions tend to repeat. For example, during multiple games in a row I noticed at least one question repeat three times in separate games. While that is a nice thing to have if you want to win against an opponent, this means that if you like this particular topic, the repeating questions tend to make that topic extremely boring. I guess the positive thing about this aspect is that it encourages you to choose other topics. But this remain a big problem.

While the game is a lot of fun when playing with friends, there are some problems with playing against a random opponent. One thing that I noticed frequently occurred while playing was a lot of disconnections. If you want to play against a random person, you better hope that their internet connection is as stable as yours. Otherwise, you will become frustrated by the constant disconnections. This, for me, was probably the most glaring flaw of the game.

Overall though, the game is a very enjoyable experience. The game is a great way to kill time, especially if you have another person willing to play with you. While playing against a random person is not enjoyable and the lack of questions in specific topics makes the category stale, topics like logos, name that city, and sports make sure that you aren’t bored. I think QuizUp rivals the likes of Words with Friends, in terms of multiplayer fun. It doesn’t look like the “world’s biggest trivia game” will stop being fun anytime soon.