Nick’s Grill fresh on the scene

Nick’s Neighborhood Bar and Grill is a popular spot in Wilmette with delicious food. Located right in downtown Wilmette on Wilmette avenue near other restaurants like Depot Nuevo and The Noodle, Nick’s stands out because of its chill atmosphere and diverse clientele. It’s perfect for a date or dinner with the family.

Though it opened last June, Nick’s has already outlasted other restaurants in the area that opened around the same time, like The Big Black Dog Tavern & Grill, which closed this past October. Though the menu was similar, Nick’s proved to be more of a hit.

During the late afternoon on a weekday, Nick’s is very quiet. Only a few tables are taken and it’s very easy to walk in without a reservation. It’s a perfect spot to eat and get work done. Almost immediately around six in the evening, the restaurant is crowded with young families and groups of adults. The large booths make Nick’s the perfect place to go for a festive or intimate gathering.

The restaurant is very modern and causal.  It opens to the bar area, which is often very crowded. There are a few high tables in this room as well but the majority are located in a space to the left of the entrance, which is nicely divided from the bar area by brick columns.

The wooden tables are spacious, which gives everyone at the table enough room to eat comfortably. The back wall is made up entirely of booths but the rest of the room has normal tables. Many are meant for only two to four people, but others are larger for groups of about six to eight.

Though when it is crowded it is often hard to even hear the people at your table, the music is noticeably good. It is mostly slower, well-known alternative music, which greatly adds to the chill atmosphere of the restaurant. The music is popular enough that you may recognize some of the songs, but it is not the usual pop music that is commonly heard on the radio.

Nick’s menu has a wide array of dishes. The appetizers range from Crab Cakes to Mac ‘N Cheese Du Jour. I ordered the Chicken Wings, which were quite good. They come with a side of carrots, celery, and ranch dipping sauce. There is the choice of either buffalo or BBQ sauce. I recommend the buffalo sauce because although it definitely has a kick to it, it is not too spicy.

The salads are on the medium to small side. They are good for someone who is looking for something light. I recommend the Bibb Salad. It is a wedge topped with bacon, tomatoes, red unions, and bleu cheese dressing. The lettuce was crisp and fresh .

Nick’s has many different types of sandwiches, such as the traditional burger, NY Strip Sandwich, and a grilled chicken club. I recommend the Salmon BLT. The salmon is very fresh and topped with bacon, avocado, cilantro, and tomato and it’s served on sourdough bread. It comes with the option of a side salad.

Nick’s menu also includes different deserts like Red Velvet Cake, Brownie a la Mode, Seasonal Bread Pudding, and a hot fudge sundae. They also have an extensive children’s menu that attracts many families with young children. They have typical kids food such as chicken tenders, buttered noodles, and cheese flatbread.

I found Nick’s to be very similar to Little Ricky’s in Winnetka. However, Nick’s is more modern and attracts a younger crowd. The food is also lighter and there are more sandwich options.

The service was pretty fast, but as the restaurant gets more crowded, it slows down a little bit. Nick’s is located at 1168 Wilmette Ave in Wilmette.