Edzo’s marries gourmet burgers with gourmet fries

The first time I went to Edzo’s I was immediately hit by the smell of grease and beef, and that was when I knew that I was going to have a good burger.
Edzo’s is shortly becoming a North Shore staple for quality fast food along with other favorites such as Buffalo Joe’s, Chuck Wagon, and Sarkis.
Edzo’s offers quality burgers and fries that really haven’t been seen on the North Shore, or for that matter, in a lot of burger places.
While Edzo’s is primarily a burger joint, it is probably most well-known for their gourmet fries. Edzo’s offers many different combinations for their fries, which are hand cut daily and twice cooked. Edzo’s offers ten different kind of options for their fries, almost unheard of in many different burger joints.
Classic burger joint options like the fries prepared plain or standard cheese fries made with Merkt’s cheddar cheese are available to enjoy, or if you’re feeling a little more adventurous they have options like their buffalo fries topped with blue cheese, buffalo sauce, and celery or their Taylor Street Fries paying homage to the neighborhood in Chicago topped with Italian beef gravy, sweet peppers, and giardinera.
Secondly, you need to know that even though it might take you 20 minutes to get through the massive burger and fries you ordered, it’s never going to take more than 10 minutes to get your food, and if you order a shake they’ll give that to you right when it’s done with the extra in the mixing cup.
The Five Dollar Milkshakes (actually $4.75) are another claim to fame for Edzo’s. They have all of the traditional flavors: vanilla, chocolate, strawberry (only in the summer as to get the best ingredients), but Edzo’s does offer some more flavors, including spicy Mexican chocolate, salted caramel, hot fudge, and many more.
But the real star of the meal is the burger. Burgers come in two different options: a 4 oz. griddled burger which can be ordered as a single, double, or triple, or the 8 oz. char burger which only comes in one size. Edzo’s also offers more traditional toppings for their burgers such as lettuce, tomato, onion, and pickles which are all free. They also have additional toppings such as sautéed mushrooms, jalapenos, and hot giardiniera that can be added for an additional fee.
The burgers themselves are delicious. Made everyday fresh in the kitchen, Edzo’s never uses frozen patties, which is always nice to see from a burger joint. The griddled burger is probably the go to option for those who want to have a burger and enjoy a side of gourmet fries, but the char burger is always available for those who have a bigger appetite.
Speaking of fees, if you plan on coming to Edzo’s, be prepared to pay some serious money for your food. Burgers are fairly cheap but if you plan to put some cheese and extra toppings on it, it’s going to add up. Add on a milkshake and one of the many options for the gourmet fries (which range from about $4.50-$6) and you’re going to spend about $18 for your meal. Even though the prices are fairly expensive, Edzo’s is definitely worth the price of admission.
While Edzo’s might not be able to beat out some North Shore classics like a Nikki from Chuck Wagon, a Hot Dog from Irving’s, or a Loretta from Sarkis, it offers a quality burger and an even greater selection of fries. The biggest downfall to a small burger place is their lack of variety.
While any given place might have one or two items that are top notch, the rest of the menu tends to be neglected. But at Edzo’s you can go in and get something completely different every time and be just as satisfied with it regardless of the fact that you’re getting something on the menu that most people haven’t even thought of getting before.
Edzo’s is located at 1571 Sherman Ave. in Evanston. They are open from 10:30 to 10 Tuesday through Saturday and are open from 10:30 to 4 on Sundays. Edzo’s is closed Mondays.