Students look forward to seeing this fall’s newest flicks

Fall is here and that means some of the year’s most anticipated movies will be arriving.

“Life of Pi” – Official Trailer

Based on the best-selling novel, “Life of Pi” is one of the most hotly anticipated movie adaptions coming out this Fall. It examines the hardships of an Indian boy, Pi, while he is stranded on a life boat with several animals (including a Bengal tiger) after a shipwreck. “I really love the book,” said senior Katie Masciopinto, “so I’m eager to see if the movie lives up to my expectations.” Academy Award winner Ang Lee (“Brokeback Mountain”) directs the feature, which premieres on Nov. 1 in 3D.

“Finding Nemo 3D” – Official Trailer

With the success of “The Lion King” and “Beauty and the Beast” in 3D, why not continue to rerelease classic Disney-Pixar films for all generations to enjoy? To continue the 3D trend, Disney and Pixar are rereleasing “Finding Nemo” in 3D on Sept. 14. Senior Maggie Graham voiced her enthusiasm on its rerelease: “I’m so excited to see ‘Finding Nemo’ again because it’slike a throwback to my youth.”

“Hotel Tansylvania” – Official Trailer

Another animated delight, “Hotel Transylvania” will premiere in theaters Sept. 28. The plot centers around Count Dracula operating a high-end resort (the Hotel Transylvania) for the supernatural world as an escape from the humans. That is, until a human discovers the hotel and falls in love with the Count’s teenage daughter. The movie features the voices of Adam Sandler (Count Dracula), Selena Gomez, and Andy Sandberg. It should be fun for kids of all ages.

Skyfall, the next installment in the James Bond series, will be in theatres on November 9th (Skyfall Website)

“Skyfall” – Official Trailer

In the Action category, “Skyfall” comes out on Nov. 9. It is another installment of the James Bond series with Daniel Craig as Bond.

In this story, Bond’s loyalty to M (the head of the agency, MI6) is tested when a piece of her past comes back to haunt her. When the safety of the agency is at stake, Bond must find and destroy the threat no matter how personal the situation becomes.

“The Perks of Being a Wallflower” – Official Trailer

Possibly the most highly anticipated movie this fall is “The Perks of Being a Wallflower.”

Based on the book by Stephen Chbosky, the story follows an introverted high school freshman as he goes through the ninth grade with the help of two seniors. Starring Logan Lerman (“Percy Jackson and the Lightning Thief”), Emma Watson, and Paul Rudd. With Chobsky directing as well, the film should be a faithful adaption that will meet fans’ expectations when it premieres Sept. 14  “Bachelorette,” a dark indie comedy, has also generated some buzz. Although the film is being released in theaters Sept. 7, it has already reached number one on the iTunes video-on-demand chart.

Senior Tess Altman bought the movie on Amazon Prime and was impressed by the actors’ comedic talent. “The cast is really funny,” she said, “Adam Scott and Lizzie Caplan are the best part.” The film also marks Kirsten Dunst’s return to the comedy genre in almost five years.

“Looper” – Official Trailer

Rounding out the month of September is “Looper,” starring Bruce Willis, Joseph Gorden-Levitt, and Emily Blunt.

Set in the year 2027, Gorden-Levitt’s character works as a “Looper,” a man who he kills

people sent from the future. Unfortunately, his next target turns out to be himself (played by Willis). Kenzie Carnow is eager to see the movie as she believes “the plot is intriguing and I love Joseph Gorden-Levitt; plus, Bruce Willis is the man.” Look for “Looper” in theaters Sept. 28.

“Argo” – Official Trailer

Ben Affleck returns to the big screen on Oct. 5 in his film “Argo.” This is a historically based feature about the Iran Hostage Crisis and ensuing rescue mission. Affleck not only stars, but directed and produced the film as well; “Breaking Bad” star Bryan Cranston also appears.

Nov. 16 marks a grieving period for some, and relief for others, as the final installment of the “Twilight Saga” premieres.

The story tracks newlyweds Bella and Edward as they attempt to protect their vampire-human child from the Volturi clan. Senior Dylan Fox explains that she does not plan to see the film.

“I don’t care for movies about demon spawn.”

“Lincoln” – Official Trailer

The month of November also brings about Stephen Spielberg’s film, “Lincoln,” with Daniel Day-Lewis stepping into the shoes of the iconic US president.

After seeing some of the still images of Day-Lewis in full Lincoln regalia, Altman adds, “I approve of the makeup thus far.”

The deep subject matter along with the credible names attached to the project rings of potential Oscar nominations. Joseph Gorden-Levitt and Tommy Lee Jones also star in the film being released Nov 16.

Clearly there is a wide variety of films for students to see this Fall and they will serve as a great way to relieve first semester tension.