Cast left in awe of “Spoiler Alert”

This year’s cast of Lagniappe-Potpourri is thrilled to share their work from this year’s show, Spoiler Alert. The show is under way and the actors and ready to share their experiences from backstage to the final performance.

This year’s show is very unique compared to previous years, according to the cast. Danielle Newmark, a third-year cast member and senior, expressed that the new group of board members made the show their own without having an impact on the hilarity of the show from year to year.

“There is a new group of board members who want to implement their own unique and creative ideas,” she said. “This has never had an impact on the quality of the show or the humor of the content. Lagniappe is always going to be a great and funny experience.”

Senior and second-year cast member Maudie Brown pointed out that unlike previous years, “there are three songs with different plots.” She mentioned that usually the songs fall into different categories, a love song, a girls song, and a boys song. She added that the new format is, “a minor change, but I think it makes a big difference in the show.”

According to Katherine Mayer, a second-year cast member and sophomore, the show this year is sure to keep the crowd interested. “This year’s show is very relatable to the students of New Trier and has something in it for everyone,” she said. She added, “I think that it will be a crowd pleaser.”
According to Malcolm Durning, also a sophomore in his second year in Lagniappe, shared that the themes covers a wide range, including, “reality TV, to alternate realities, to the reality of being a New Trier student and living on the North Shore.” He added a helpful tip for viewers. “Throughout the show, look for some familiar faces. We got some help from our New Trier peers.”

A major part of the show is cast bonding. Cast members rave about their fellow cast members and the environment the group makes. “Everyone takes so much pride in what they’re working on for the show, which makes for a pretty exciting environment to be in,” said Brown. “It’s really an honor to work with so many people who have such great commitment and talent,” she added.

“The way that the cast bonds is the best part. Getting together with a group of kids, all mixed ages,” said Newmark. “It’s crazy how close you get to everyone.”
Durning found comfort in his fellow cast members. “I had a solid group of people who I could trust and could help me throughout high school,” he said.

He has a different perspective on the best part of Lagniappe. “The most amazing part about Lagniappe is something that many don’t realize,” he said. He added that, “with the proceeds made from Lagniappe, there is a scholarship given out every year.” The scholarship is given to someone who possesses acceptance, responsibility, and diligence.

Mayer is impressed by the students’ writing of the show, and thinks it’s one of the best parts of the show. “It always amazes me that students can create such professional work,” she said.

“Usually people look over the effort and times the students spend to write the skits and compose the songs.”
Durning adds to Mayer’s idea. “There are so many different way to be involved with the show,” he said. “Whether it means being in the cast, board, orchestra, stage crew, costume crew, management, staff, or anything else, it’s always a blast,” he added.

“My favorite part are the performances. Lagniappe always has the best attendance,” said Brown. She enjoys the atmosphere on the night of the first show and seeing her and her cast’s work pay off. “There’s so much excitement the day of opening night, it’s when everybody’s hard work goes on stage for the school to see,” she added.

“One of the best parts are the performances and hearing feedback from peers about the content,” said Newmark. She adds about that performance that, “It feels so good to get up in front of so many of your peers, doing what you love, and knowing that they’re supporting you.” She also mentioned that it’s the one performance for which the theater department gets recognition from the whole school.

“Being in Lagniappe is an amazing experience that I am extremely grateful for,” said Mayer. She added, “it is incredible to witness the amount of students that work so hard to put up this show. I am honored to be a part of it.”

This year’s Lagniappe cast has worked hard to put on a great show. If you haven’t seen it yet, there’s still time. “You’ll have to buy a ticket and see for yourself,” concluded Brown.