Two parties just not enough

With the Presidential election only a few days away, there are two candidates who are getting no attention, who are not in the spotlight. I am of course talking about the candidates for the Constitution Party and the Justice Party. These two parties, both relatively new, don’t have a chance of winning anything in this year’s election, but they are on ballot for some of this country’s great states.

The Constitution Party was founded in 1991. It’s a very conservative party in favor of stricter immigration reform and less government intervention in the economy. The entire party is anti-same sex marriage and they believe that “offensive sexual behavior” should be criminalized. They oppose pornography and would like to appeal the 16th amendment, which allows the federal government to tax income.

The Constitution Party’s candidate this year is none-other than Virgil Goode, the former Virginian member of the United States House of Representatives. Over the years he has changed his political views. Prior to 2000, he was Democrat. Come Y2K, he experimented being Independent for two years and then became a Republican. Eight years later, he is the front man for the Constitution Party.

Goode presents himself as the best alternate to both President Obama and Governor Romney. He supports cutting “No Child Left Behind,” foreign aid, and ending Diversity Visas. His top priority, if elected, would be to balance the budget. During his time in Congress he held a pro-life stance on abortion and currently expresses regret for his vote in favor of the Patriot Act. Goode’s running mate is the party chairman, Jim Clymer.

Goode announced his actions to gain ballot access in the Constitutional Party’s bimonthly newsletter. For the election, Goode is on the ballot in 26 states, which add up to about 257 electoral votes. Additionally, he has write-in status for 16 states, which adds up to 232 electoral votes. This means that even if Goode won every state for which he was on the ballot, he would not have enough electoral votes to become the 45th president of the United States.

Unfortunately, that is very unlikely to happen. Goode does not really stand a chance of winning at all. Even if all those mysteriously aloof, undecided voters decided to vote for him he would still be an unheard of candidate.

Goode is not alone though. The other wonderful candidate is Rocky Anderson of the Justice Party. The Justice Party was formed very recently, in November of 2011. After failing to win the nomination of the American’s Elect Party, Anderson created his own party.

The Justice Party had a small beginning with only 30 people on board. Now they are on the ballot in 16 states, which is equal to about 145 electorate votes. He has write-in access for 14 states, which adds up 126 electorate votes. Together this adds up to 271, which is just enough for a candidate to win the election. This means, however, that he would have to win every state in which he was running, including the states where he has write-in access. Far-fetched, yes. Possible, yes. Likely, no.

Rocky Anderson is an interesting man. He gained national prominence because of his views and actions on important causes. These causes range from environmental protection to LGBT rights to ending the war on drugs. As mayor of Salt Lake City, he worked with fellow presidential candidate Mitt Romney on the 2002 Olympics. In 2003, he spoke publicly for the impeachment of George W. Bush

In 2011, he explained his disappointment in his former political party, the Democratic Party stating, “The Constitution has been eviscerated while Democrats have stood by with nary a whimper. It is a gutless, unprincipled party, bought and paid for by the same interests that buy and pay for the Republican Party.” Those are some harsh words.

After those harsh words he exercised a great American freedom: the right to form a political party.

While there is no chairman for the Justice Party, one thing it does have is strong political views. The party is in favor of abolishing corporate personhood, creating a financial transaction tax and ending the Bush tax cuts.

Unfortunately, Anderson does not stand a chance in this election either. The only thing he could pull away is electorate votes, which would matter in the event that neither Obama nor Romney gain enough votes and Congress decides the 45th President.