Growing High Five Choir lifts voices and spirits

I hadn’t spent much time in New Trier’s music wing, so I approached the High Five Choir room cautiously. I peeked inside at the bright sign on the wall and hovered awkwardly by the door, unsure of what to do. A student I had never seen before walked up and welcomed me with a fist-bump.
In an instant, I understood the unique appeal of High Five.
Senior Melanie Hesdorffer, a member of High Five, later helped articulate this distinctive atmosphere. “There’s a lot of good energy. Everyone accepts you as you are. It doesn’t matter if you have a bad hair day. It’s like a big happy family.”
For many students at New Trier, the High Five choir room is a safe space where they can express themselves without fear of judgment, regardless of whether they possess a developmental disability or not. Senior Alan Cohen, who is a SILC for High Five this year, explained, “If [the students] mess up, they can have an opportunity to try again…Different does not mean less than.”
Choral music educator Susan Vaughan, who founded the choir with teacher Jane Che in the fall of 2005, described it as “a group of students of all abilities coming together through music, building longstanding friendships, raising disability awareness, and serving as agents of change for our school, our community, our world.”
High Five has a complex mission, but it’s the carefree moments of friendship and fun that matter most to many participants. Participant Travis Tassone, considered to be one of High Five’s founding choir members, said his favorite part is the concerts. “I love it. I enjoyed that last night,” he said, referring to the Fall Choral Concert where High Five performed Nov. 13.
Tassone’s friend and fellow choir member Scott DiVincenzo, added, “I like to sing and I like the concerts. I like singing with Travis. It makes me feel good.”
High Five Choir members meet fourth period every day to practice their performances and hang out together. According to senior Molly Mathias, a typical day in High Five includes a rendition of “Come On Get Happy,” followed by a set list of four songs in preparation for an upcoming concert. The forty minutes of music end with “The So Long Song.”
Vaughan said that students often select what songs they would like to sing, ranging from meaningful to playful. “Sometimes kids choose songs because they have a High Five message, or sometimes just because they like them,” she said.
No matter what the song, all students find a way to enjoy themselves. As student Kosta Flanary, who loves to “bust a move” in class, simply put, “We are happy.”
Perhaps this explains why High Five has grown in popularity in recent years. Initiated with about thirty volunteers practicing during their lunch periods, the choir now includes 71 students. Participants cannot be easily described or defined, and Vaughan said that the organization has blossomed organically. “Students are bringing what talents they have—we have ukulele, guitar, trombone, electric guitar. Music is the glue that holds us together, but it’s about seeing our inherent worth.”
The unique and unconventional nature of High Five has attracted national and local media attention, especially recently. It’s been featured on NBC Nightly News with Brian Williams and the Chicago Tribune.
Vaughan said that this form of recognition has helped High Five succeed as an agent of change. “The opportunities [in media] just send our message out. Then other schools and other institutions are being made aware. We believe in this work.”
Indeed, High Five has served as a model of inclusive music education for other institutions, and the choir often performs at schools and conventions.
When it performs in front of New Trier students, they too have no trouble recognizing the choir’s significance. Junior Meirav Malter, who has seen the choir perform, believes High Five has a big impact on the school. “It’s improving our school environment with students helping each other out, and it’s a great partnership between students. It’s an enriching experience for all,” said Malter.
Students who have yet to see High Five Perform or would like to see it again can attend the Winter Sing in the Gaffney auditorium on Dec. 22, the Friday before winter break commences. Last year, the show was so popular that two back-to-back performances were held in the McGee theatre. Vaughan is excited to perform in a larger venue.
If the past is any indication, the Winter Sing will have the same effect on the audience that choir practice has on students like Melanie Hesdorffer every day. “No matter what mood I’m in,” she said, “when I come out I’m in a better mood.”