Tri-Ship caps food drive, starts Tree Sale

For most of us around the holiday season, we’re buying gifts, brainstorming culinary ideas, and counting down the days till the long, two week vacation we’ve dreamt of since the school year started. But the Tri-Ship boys are busy at work, preparing for The Greater Chicago Food Depository and the annual Christmas Tree Sale.
Tri-Ship raises money for New Trier senior boys’ college scholarships through steak sales, tree sales, the canned food drive, and other school-wide funds. Founded in 1924, Tri-Ship is the second oldest club at New Trier. Run by five elected officers along with an executive board of directors and appointed board members, Tri-Ship stands as one of the most effective clubs offered at New Trier.
Tri-Ship is one of the largest, non-private donors to the Greater Chicago Food Depository. Johnny McNitt, the senior president of Tri-Ship, always looks forward to this time of year and is proud of the work and success that goes into the canned food drive.
“Knowing that every can raised goes to someone in need and that we are improving the lives of others around the holiday season really makes this a rewarding experience,” said McNitt.
But the Tri-Ship boys don’t stop there. With the holiday season fast approaching, the members are getting ready for the Christmas Tree Sale. The sale has been a long tradition that adds to the boys’ scholarship fund. Accounting for eighty percent of Tri-Ship’s annual profits, the sale is extremely successful.

Scott A. Fricke, the sponsor of Tri-Ship, feels the Christmas Tree Sale is a great experience for the boys. He enjoys getting to watch how the tree sale brings the group closer together and sees all the members of the club learning from the experience.

“The Christmas Tree Sale is always very successful. Each year it gets bigger and bigger,” said Fricke. “The sale is like running a business with high school kids. The boys learn how to work with people and [they] develop responsibility and leadership skills.”
Many community families display their support for Tri-Ship by purchasing a tree. Becky Hungerford, a senior, decorates her home every year with one of Tri-Ship’s trees.
“My family has always bought our Christmas tree from Tri-Ship because it supports such a good cause,” said Hungerford. “It really gets me excited for the Christmas season and it’s always a fun time buying the tree.”
Not only is Tri-Ship one of the most hard-working and enthusiastic organizations at New Trier, there is a unique relationship between the participants that makes you realize why this club is so extraordinary. Philip Rooney, a senior and longtime member of Tri-Ship, is proud to be a member; he enjoys helping others and bonding with his fellow partners. “Coming together and improving the community and school is rewarding,” said Rooney. “We love the camaraderie that grows throughout the year and we enjoy being together each day during 9th period.”
As the sponsor and a teacher, Fricke understands how important the bonding between the members is. He looks forward to meeting and spending time with the group, whether that’s working on the tree lot, raising money through steak sales, or just hanging out in the Tri-Ship room.
“My favorite part is meeting with them ninth period,” said Fricke. “It’s usually busy, but when we get to sit around and talk, that’s really special.”