Spend your winter break exploring Chicago

ZooLights: Chicago’s Lincoln Park Zoo hosts a winter festival every year called ZooLights. With the variety of colors lightening up the zoo, and the variety of animals held in the zoo, ZooLights is a great activity for family and friends alike. ZooLights is open until January 6th.

Winter Wonderfest at Navy Pier: This year at Navy Pier, they are bringing back Wonderfest favorites. There are attractions ranging from a high-ropes course to a zero-gravity theme park ride. With all the rides and activities Wonderfest provides, it is a guaranteed great time.

Ice Skating in Millennium Park: If you want to partake in the classic winter activity of ice-skating, then visit the McCormick Tribune Ice Rink in Millennium Park. The rink is open to the public but if you need to rent skates it will cost you 10 dollars. Skating is open until mid-march.

Free Museum entry: The holiday season is a season of giving and this year Chicago museums have days where anyone can enter for free. All of Chicago’s major museums have free admission days. Hoewver, you will still have to pay for any special exhibits.

Art Institute of Chicago: Weekdays through Feb 10. 
Shedd Aquarium: 
Jan 31. 
Field Museum: 
Jan 31. 
Adler Planetarium: 
Jan 31, Feb 1, Feb 6–9, Feb 14, Feb 15, Feb 21, Feb 22, Feb 28, Feb 29. 
Museum of Science and Industry: 
Jan 31, Wednesdays in Feb.
Chicago History Museum: 
Feb 5–29.

Home for the Holidays at the Art Institute: Celebrating the holidays, the Art Institute has this special exhibit showcasing Thorne Miniature Rooms ornamented by artists from around the world. This exhibit is open until December 31st.

Dysfunctional Holiday Revue: This Second City show features everything that people love about a Second City performance. It has improv, scenes and songs that all mock the holiday season and the craziness that comes with it. Scenes range from couples therapy with Joseph and Mary to uneven gift exchanges. This is sure to be hilarious event. The Dysfunctional Holiday Revue is playing until January 1st.

Jewmongous: With Christmas in the spotlight during the holiday season, this comedy concert tries to bring some of that attention to Hanukkah.  One comedy song it has is “They tried to Kill Us (We Survived, Let’s Eat).” Jewmongous is playing at the Skokie Theater on December 25th. Tickets cost 18 dollars in advance and 25 dollars at the door.

Christkindlmarket Chicago: This holiday market is a great way to explore European and German Culture in Chicago. With many different vendors selling something for everyone, you will be sure to have a blast. From food to crafts, this holiday event is a great and fun opportunity to buy gifts or just experience German culture. The Christkindlmarket is open until December 24th.

The CTA Holiday Train: Every year, the Chicago Transit Authority celebrates the season by decorating one of its L trains. Both outside and inside are covered in lights and when it pulls into a station, Santa waves to boarding passengers from his sleigh on a train car. A schedule of where the train will be and when can be found at www.transitchicago.com/holidaytrain.

New Year’s Eve Fireworks at Navy Pier: In addition to Winter Wonderfest, Navy Pier also presents fireworks to ring in the New Year. There are two times for fireworks, one for families at 7:00pm and the regular time of midnight.