Google’s Glass redefines hands-free technology

By 2014, the general public will be able to text, receive directions, and record videos and pictures all with a simple pair of glasses.
According to Forbes, Google’s Project Glass is set to launch at the end of 2013 after, “entering and winning a special contest.”
One lucky winner will then have to pay the heavy price tag of $1,500 and pick up the glasses from San Francisco, New York, or Los Angeles.
The contest was rumored to be in jeopardy, but luckily Google’s cofounder, Sergey Brin, said, “the customer model will be considerably less expensive[compared to the beta model], though still not cheap.”
These futuristic glasses, formally named “Glass,” allow people to multitask with a voice-activated command system.
Glass can bring up directions, let the wearer know if a subway station is closed, tell the time, calculate the weather, send text messages, video chat, be a part of a Google Hangout, and learn new languages – all just inches away from one’s face.
Unfortunately, the messages on Glass’ interface would block the wearer’s vision.
From the numerous demo videos, it’s clear the maps or message that are up on the glass block the users from seeing to what’s in front of them.
One parody video of the Google Glass puts the spotlight on the issues that may arise while wearing them.
The parody, from tomscott.com, shows a user sending a message and running into a light post, receiving a Google Ad and running into a man, and having a message pop up and the wearer tripping.
However, “members of the Project Glass team stressed they’ve taken pains to ensure the technology doesn’t disrupt people by limiting the number and type of messages that pop up,” said columnist James Temple from the San Francisco Chronicle.
Still, the messages are going to pop up in the middle in the wearer’s line of sight. This makes the consumer question: What other unforeseen flaws could exist?
According to one marketing company, Optimum7.com, some kinks in Glass is its fragile design, distracting data placement, poor battery life, and privacy issues.
The design of the futuristic glasses is extremely delicate-looking with a twig-thin frame and a camera that hangs under it.
The irony of the design is that many of the demos show people skydiving and doing high-activity sports. While it’s understandable that the thin frame would theoretically be lightweight – always a plus – how would they stay on during such activities?
Not to mention, something that thin is frail. However, Google claims that their product is both “strong and light.” If consumers are going to spend $1,500 per pair, then hopefully Google has made them sturdy.
While there are some definite cons to Glass, the pros make them seem like a speck of dust. Glass is hands-free, has mobile anytime knowledge and augmented reality, blogger Max Byer reported.
With such an innovative product, one might expect to see lots of advertisement, but not with Glass.
As a matter of fact, “there are no plans to insert advertising,” said Brin.
CNET reported that Glass would be able to connect to both Android and iPhone via Bluetooth.While connected to the phone, the glasses can pull data from Wi-Fi and use 3G/4G feeds from the phone.
One of the coolest, though scariest, aspects about Glass is that it “answers without having to ask.”
On the Glass website they have an image of flight information that would be displayed on the glasses.
True, this is useful, but it also brings back the privacy issue. How do the glasses know the flight information without the wearer saying anything?
However Glass finds out these details about a person’s travel itinerary, it will be interesting to see where this product goes.
When asked how the product will sell, Brin responded, “You can combine other (technologies) to achieve the same functionality, but we’re trying to make it really easy and hands free.”