NT shows its roots

International Club will be hosting their annual event Roots of New Trier in the scrounge March 6 and 7 from 8 am to 5 pm. Students are welcome to attend during their free periods. Each day will feature different activities and booths.
To the average student, Roots of New Trier is often seen as a way to eat something besides the same cafeteria food they have every day.
However, its true aim is to educate students on the cultures of other countries without having to travel. All of the cultural clubs get together in one place with the same purpose.
“The best way to get along is to understand,” said Edilia Nalepka, sponsor of International Club. Bringing in native food is the best way to draw in the students.
Chinese Club will have a second booth this year, where Chinese music will be featured. The club members want their peers to appreciate and understand Chinese music and culture.
Students do tend to stop by the Chinese booths often due to the familiar feeling around Chinese food. This booth will also allow students to learn and take part in Chinese dances.
“We try to educate different cultures through foods and encourage clubs to educate students” said Nalepka.
International club has a history of raising awareness with days like Roots, and also with International Awareness Day and Religion Awareness Day.
Nalepka says these activities “are founded on the motto: building bridges cultures.” Of course, putting different cultures of the world in just one room is a great way to do this.
Roots of New Trier isn’t just another lunch period, it is also a celebration of all the cultures that we have the privilege of experiencing.