“Autism Speaks” to senior Spencer Savitz

Spencer Savitz is a senior with one big cause—raising money for Autism research.
Because of his brother’s diagnosis of Autism, the cause is close to his heart, but Savitz’s motives stretch out far beyond his Glencoe community. Savitz is working hard to reach a landmark amount of $1 million by November for the organization Autism Speaks, the world’s leading autism organization.
Autism Speaks uses its funds for research, increasing awareness of the spectrum of autism disorders, and advocating for those with autism and their families.
Savitz’s brother Tyler, who is now 14, was diagnosed with autism when he was two and a half years old.
“For a while I thought that it was really only him and I wasn’t exposed to much else,” revealed Savitz. It wasn’t until Savitz was in sixth grade and he did a research project on autism that he began to understand it more.
“I learned the full scope of the disorder and its impact on families all over the world. From then on I decided that I wanted to devote my life towards anything that could help these families affected by the disorder.”
Savitz got involved with Autism Speaks through his parents when they told him about a fundraising walk at Soldier Field. “I decided to organize a group of my friends and Tyler’s friends to raise money and participate in the walk.” This is where it all started.
From then on, Savitz grew more and more passionate about being an active participant in fighting autism. To date, Savitz and his team-comprised of his and Tyler’s friends have raised a little over $730,000. After last year they passed the $600,000 mark, with an initial goal of 500,000. The next landmark number, $1 million seemed like the next step.
“For me, raising money has a lot to do with sending out letters that explain the state of research of autism and that the donor’s money has an impact.”
Savitz’s responsibilities also include finding corporate sponsors and finding donors through talking to classes, advisories, and businesses in the community, sending out emails and letters, and networking.
“Most school nights are spent playing sports and doing homework. However, when I have time, I try to get some Walk stuff done. Mainly the weekends are when I put in the bulk of my time preparing documents for the Walk, sending out emails to everyone, getting in touch with people to sign up and/or fundraise, ”
Savitz’s work never stops; he works to raise money year-round. “A lot of money does come in after the Walk, but the majority of my time and effort is put in from February-May. We do some other fundraising activities at other parts of the year, but I’m not as active then in trying to get everyone involved.”
Savitz doesn’t plan to stop when his senior year ends. “I certainly plan on bringing this annual tradition [the Autism Speaks Walk] to college with me next year and I will either organize my own team for a local walk or create my own walk once again, if there is not one conveniently nearby. I hope to use all the resources of the school to help me do even greater things than I’ve done to this point. I hope to raise more money, spread more awareness, and make the Autism Walk a well-known school event that everyone can get excited for.”
His networking skills that have gotten him to where he has will be vital in college.
“I will certainly look out for other people who have siblings with autism or another connection to autism, whether that be through clubs or simply meeting people around campus. With autism being as prevalent as it is, it touches the lives of nearly everyone in some way or another, so I’m sure I’ll find plenty of students and professors who are interested in the subject.”
It doesn’t stop here. Savitz wants to get involved in autism research, if the opportunity allows, and will continue to spread the word about Autism Speaks to students. Savitz doesn’t see a future without fighting autism.
“In the future, I hope for my reach to become nationwide, to be able to fund major research projects that interest me, to spread awareness among our country’s leaders, and to impact the government’s treatment of the subject of Autism.”
Savitz has made an impact in the global autism community and there is an evident passion that he has for it. His plans for his future will always include raising awareness about autism and fundraising for the cause.
“I think it’s a great thing for people to learn to become charitable at a young age in a community where we are all so fortunate. I never would have gotten involved with this if it wasn’t for my brother. While autism is an incredibly difficult part of my family’s life, it has had an incredibly positive impact on my life, my family’s life, and the live of those involved with our cause.”
The Autism Speaks Northshore Walk was held Sunday, April 28 but money is still being raised to reach his goal of 1,000,000.