Library technology: outdated or updated?

Over the past few years, the library staff at New Trier has been working to make the library a better resource for both students and faculty. They have gradually progressed from only books and textbooks to desktop computers, ebooks, DVDs, etc. The question is, what resources are actually being used?

The online catalogues on desktops at the library are used to find books efficiently in the library. Databases are a common resource for students, and the library pays to make them accessible through their website, according to head librarian Judy McNab. Jordy Richman, sophomore, says that she uses “computers at the library the most. During the day, I use them to work on homework, and the databases are so helpful.”

Besides computers, students have access to eBooks and reference books. McNab explains, “Last year we started overdrive, allowing students to check out an individual eBook on your own computer. Other than reference books, nothing can only be accessed at the library.”

The library has also worked to have their resources more accessible at home. Almost all of the reference books have been digitalized, creating less work for the students and teachers. Reference books can still be found in the library, as well as all of the textbooks that are used at New Trier.Marc Garneau, head of technology in the library, explains the library’s policy on outdated technology. “Libraries have a process called weeding that is used to identify items in our collection that are no longer used or have become dated and irrelevant. We apply this process to the technology and media we offer as well.” The library feels like they need to constantly update the library. According to Garneau, DVDs and Audio CDs are the least used item in the library.

Although all of the resources at the library are helpful, some are becoming outdated. Paige Niemi, librarian, comments that “Netbooks are becoming outdated, but are not being replaced because of the use of iPads next year.” In the 2014-2015 school year, the school is assigning iPads to the whole student body, which will presumably replace textbooks.

VCRs and DVDs are available to students and teachers in the library, yet they are not being used as much as they used to. The library is in the process of replacing VCRs with DVDs, because not many own VCR players anymore. Also, no one uses the VHS tapes, because DVD / Blu-ray is better quality, claims McNab.

Students may feel like some of the technology in the library is outdated, but the library is working on updating it all.