Tom DeLuca returns to NT

On Saturday, December 7, Tom DeLuca will be performing his annual hypnotism show at New Trier. Every year, the senior class hires him for a fundraiser. He is paid a “very reasonable fee,” according to girls’ senior adviser chair Cindee Scott. The show raises a large amount for service projects, specifically Habitat for Humanity.

“We know that we can raise several thousand dollars if the senior class fills the first floor of the Gaffney,” said boys’ senior adviser chair Chris Pearson.

The show is primarily attended by and features hypnotisms of seniors, but it is entertaining for all ages. The average attendance has been 7-800 people. Both adviser chairs said they were hoping for an even larger turnout this year.

“Every senior is important; it takes the whole senior class to make this happen,” said Scott. DeLuca’s show is one of the most well-known Habitat for Humanity fundraisers, but there are many more, including gift checkbook sales, the Winter Carnival and a silent auction in the spring.

“We’re looking forward to a great night in support of a great cause,” said Pearson. Scott added, “It’s a great show. People who come will laugh all the way through the show from beginning to end. Many ask if the students are really hypnotized, and the answer is yes.”

Interestingly, outside of New Trier, DeLuca is better known for his motivational sessions for corporate workforces, applying the same mental tricks to a rather different end.

The New York Post says that “DeLuca is careful not to humiliate his subjects. Rather, he taps into their personalities, ringing human foibles gently to the surface. The results of Tom’s show are fascinating… even poignant. Don’t miss him.”