Choir raises funds for trip to Carnegie Hall

New Trier’s Concert Choir is selling Trevian Cards in order to raise money for their trip to perform at Carnegie Hall in New York City. The Trevian Card functions as a gift card that can be used at approximately twenty local stores and restaurants, according to David Ladd, a co-director for Concert Choir. When used at a participating establishment, customers receive a discount.

Stores and restaurants include Panera, Subway, and 711. “It’s a great cause as this trip offers our students an amazing opportunity to travel, be immersed in culture, and perform in the most important concert venue in the world. However, it is a costly trip and the more cards we can sell the easier it will be for us to achieve our goal,” Ladd said. According to Aria Raymond, a junior member of Concert Choir, the trip to New York costs two-thousand dollars. Trevian Cards cost twenty dollars and are redeemable for the entire year after being purchased, according to Charlie Ellensohn, a sophomore member.

The trip to Carnegie Hall will take place over spring break. Trevian Card sales will continue until December 16, 2013. According to Caroline Corley, a junior member of Concert Choir, members have been advertising the Trevian Card sales in their classes in order to raise awareness of their cause. “Sales have been pretty good so far but we would really love it if a lot more people bought them. The opportunity to perform in Carnegie Hall is amazing and buying Trevian Cards really does help us to get there,” said Ellensohn.

Carnegie Hall opened in 1891 and since then, it has been the “go to” concert venue for more than 46,000 performances. The venue features an elliptical shape, slightly extended stage, and domed ceiling, all of which helps artists project soft and loud tones that can be heard from anywhere throughout the hall with equal clarity.

Its esteem as a venue helps explain why Concert Choir members are working hard to sell the Trevian Cards in order to perform at Carnegie Hall. “The opportunity to perform [there] is amazing,” said Ellensohn when asked about his reactions to the trip. Raymond also expressed her excitement about the opportunity. “Going to New York City is a huge deal especially to me because I have never been and it’s the city of theater and arts. The whole idea of performing at Carnegie Hall is amazing, and it’s a phenomenal opportunity vocally,” she said. Raymond said that the group will also see a Broadway show while in NYC.

Concert Choir hopes to raise enough money through Trevian Card sales by December 16. Members hope to perform on the same stage as the Philadelphia Orchestra, Vienna Boys Choir, Philharmonic Youth Orchestra, and many others.