Kafein grinds up the hippest beans for the coolest cats

As I opened the doors to Kafein, I was immediately struck by the lively atmosphere of the place. The well-decorated venue was host to numerous college students, who either were clicking away on their laptops or engaged in conversation.

While some may say that this scene is typical of cafes, I would like to point out that this was the state of Evanston’s Kafein at 1 a.m.

Its late hours of operation are not the only unique aspect of Kafein. Seating at the shop is full of options; the room is filled, but not overly so, with couches, booths, and tables of varying size. This provides more options for the diner, who can choose to eat out with friends or quietly enjoy a freshly brewed teapot on her own.

The extensive menu appeals not only to thirsty mouths and hungry stomachs, but to one’s sense of humor; pot brownies are on the menu with a price tag reading “if only.” With this in mind, young adults are clearly the intended customers.

There are no televisions in the cafe, though WiFi is provided. Customers are encouraged to entertain themselves with any of the books offered by the antique bookcase. If not in the mood for reading, every table has a set of cards on them, which ask all kinds of questions in a game of trivia.

But if none of this appeals to you, the sheer elegance of the place will. Crystal chandeliers hang from the tall ceiling and are accompanied by more modern spotlight tracks that run along both sides of the cafe. A wooden fireplace and mantlepiece compliment the dark wooden panels that run alongside the wall, and at times, up it.  The lighting strikes a perfect balance between warm and cool.

One of the walls is decorated with classical paintings given a modern twist. Mona Lisa can be seen, as portrayed in the painting by Leonardo Da Vinci, holding a cup of warm coffee. Michelangelo’s “The Creation of Adam” and Botticelli’s “The Birth of Venus,” are painted masterfully on the wall, each character holding a respective coffee cup.

The real selling point of the cafe is its staff. They are humorous, upbeat and speedy. Waiters and waitresses are able to accommodate the large number of customers with no hindrance to their quality of service.

The food is excellent. Smoothies, shakes, floats, coffee, tea, bakery goods—you name it, they have it. Kafein’s menu has a little bit of everything on it. Food is prepared in the back of the cafe, where a kitchen is separated only by a counter so customers can watch their meals and drinks being made.

The hot chocolate I ordered arrived properly heated, not scalding hot. Warm milk chocolate held just a hint of bitterness and had a fine layer of froth; the beverage was topped with a dollop of freshly-made whipped cream.

A giant chalkboard highlights this month’s specialties, which include drinks and dishes such as the Peppermint Mocha and Humpty Dumpty Latte.

The prices of the items for purchase are reasonable; however, they have no delivery service nor do they cater, though I wish they would. Even so, if you’re in a rush, they do offer take-out.

Reservations are not needed and residing on Chicago Ave. allows for Kafein to be easily accessed. The only issue occurs when trying to find parking, but that is to be expected in downtown Evanston.

Kafein is a great place to relax. Music played at just the right volume soothes without interrupting conversation or train of thought. Trendy and welcoming are two words that describe the ambience of Kafein. A casual, sophisticated look and feel of the place entice a great crowd and in my opinion, rival that of Starbucks.

If you’re on the hunt for a new hangout spot, keep Kafein in mind. Everyone should go at least once to experience the cafe and its chill and inviting atmostphere for themselves. I guarantee you’ll come back for seconds.