“Mockingjay Part 1” crushes its competitors

District 12 may be poor, but Katniss Everdeen knows how to make millions.
The “girl on fire” has raked in $1.5 billion worldwide and intends to keep the money flowing according to Tyler McCarthy of ibtimes.com. A few more movies, and Katniss might find herself setting down the bow for a seat in The Capitol.
“Mockingjay Part 1” will be coming out in theaters Nov. 21. Similar to the latest film in the series, “Catching Fire,” which enstarz.com stated made about $158.2 million, McCarthy says that “Mockingjay” stands to make anywhere between $130 million and $150 million.
This outcome predicts “Mockingjay” to crush its competitor, “Transformers: Age of Extinction,” which has made about $100 million, according to McCarthy.
“One thing that could cut into sales is that the picture will not be released in Imax — the wide screen format contributed 8% market share or $12.6 million to the last film’s opening weekend,” stated Brent Lang, from variety.com.
Lang also suggests that the projected loss in sales might be due to cutting the final novel into two parts, similar to the “Twilight” and Harry Potter series, which also lost sales when they split their last book into two movies.
However, even though the movie will experience a few setbacks, it is sure to bring its’ production company, Lionsgate, plenty of revenue.
An AMC Northbrook Court theater employee believes that the premiere is well timed, “Anytime we have a premiere, the crowd is going to be larger, but this time it should be bigger the second week because people have family in town for Thanksgiving.”
In addition to the excitement of opening night, it is a family friendly movie that people will enjoy seeing over the holidays, in the theater employee’s opinion.
Regal Garden Cinema’s manager at Old Orchard Mall is worried that the sale won’t be as successful, “We have sold seven pre- order tickets and the movie is in eleven days,” said the manager.
Both theaters, AMC and Regal Gardens, are planning to bring in extra staff members for the first week of the film to make sure there are enough employees present for all of the kids.
The second installment of the novel, “Mockingjay Part 2”, is set to open in 2015. Critics think that the film will have a similar outcome to part one, and believe that it will continue on course to make $130 million.
Students who read the series or who have only seen the movies are both anticipating the premieres for both Mockingjay films, “Even though I haven’t read the books, the movies are really good and it’s fun to go see the midnight premiere with friends,” junior Julia Wilcox said.