North Shore preps for Black Friday

After a day of giving thanks, thousands rush to the stores at midnight for the best holiday deals.
Black Friday is known for bringing out the worst in people, and the North Shore is no stranger to this phenomenon.
Black Friday is a day of major sales on the Friday following Thanksgiving. Stores open their doors anywhere from midnight to 6 am, and there are always people waiting out front to be the first ones in. As a result of this pressure to get the best deal, Black Friday shoppers are not afraid to push others or get a little aggressive in order to get the stuff that they want.
Each Black Friday, somewhere in the country people are injured during Black Friday shopping. Sometimes people are killed in the madness. No newsworthy events have ever happened on the North Shore, though surely some people come out with a couple scrapes or bruises.
Nationwide, the most popular places for Black Friday shopping are chains such as Walmart, Target, and Best Buy. Products are significantly cheaper when bought on Black Friday, such as Cuisinarts, Xboxs, or TVs. The biggest competition is for high end electronics that are normally expensive. Black Friday shoppers average a discount of 23%, which makes them much more affordable.
Some chain stores have started opening on Thanksgiving evening instead of Black Friday morning to better accommodate all the shoppers that will be coming through their doors. Best Buy in Northbrook will reportedly be opening at 6 p.m. on Thanksgiving.
These chains are also where the most significant riots have taken place, especially Walmart, where it is not uncommon for someone to be pushed to the ground and trampled as the crowd rushes towards discounted products.
Old Orchard and Northbrook Court attract a lot of people on Black Friday, where the Apple Store, Forever 21, Nordstrom’s, and Victoria’s Secret all have good deals. “I’ve never gone Black Friday shopping, but if I did, I would definitely go to Old Orchard,” said Junior Sam Leib.
But not all people go to malls or chain stores. Some, like Junior Anders Aschkenase, go to more local shops. “Last year I went to Half Price Books. The first one hundred through the door got a nice bag and a coupon,” said Aschkenase.
With the further expansion of technology, Black Friday is becoming an online event. The National Retail Federation reports that the average American shopper spends $804.42 during the holiday season, and half of that is often from online shopping on Black Friday or Cyber Monday, the Monday following Thanksgiving.
Amazon has been widely advertising their Black Friday 2014 deals online, even featuring Countdown to Black Friday discounts. This online shopping provides the best of the deals without the hassle of having to leave the house, making it an easy option for North Shore families who want to spend their Black Friday together.
Junior Sarah Rosenthal said, “My mom and dad don’t think it is safe to go Black Friday shopping because some people get insane, and we might end up buying stuff that we
don’t actually need just because it’s cheap. So if we need to buy anything, we’ll just do it online.”
A large aspect of the Black Friday event is simply the atmosphere. Junior Katie Duquette said, “My mom and I always go Black Friday shopping at Bloomingdales. We usually buy some cute clothes for really cheap, but it’s more for tradition and being a part of the Black Friday craziness.”
Overall, the North Shore tends to Black Friday shop most at chain stores like Target or Best Buy, local malls like Old Orchard and Northbrook Court, or online. So after a great Thanksgiving dinner, head out and start shopping for some great deals.