Community Mom’s lunch making business

With so many different choices for food in high school, it can be hard to know how to go about it. Some students don’t have the luxury of making a lunch at home. That’s where Marla’s Brown Bag Lunches come into play.

10 years ago Marla Stone began making her sons’ friends lunches, said that she always wanted her kids to eat healthy. The concept of the company grew from the idea that she was feeding kids healthy food without any fuss.

The brown bags, which get delivered daily to school, differ in content but are always made according to the same idea; healthy, easy food.

Sophomore Maggie Miller, who eats Marla’s lunches every day, said that “it’s hard to make lunch in the morning with my parents working and me being so busy.” Miller later went on to say that she would rather spend the small price on a good home cooked lunch than on cafeteria food.

It’s not just the students who enjoy the benefits of these lunches dropped off at school; according to Stone mothers and fathers can be ensured that their kids are eating a balanced lunch and that they don’t have to pick up a knife.

“I wanted my kids to eat healthy starting at a young age and to have options. Moms would tell me that because of my lunches, their kids tried avocados, tomatoes, or turkey with lettuce, wraps, sushi, side salads and more. That was great to hear,” Stone said.

Amy Graham, a working mother of four, said that “as someone who loves to cook, it’s hard to find time to make lunches for my kids and still make them healthy and feel good about what I’m feeding them.”

With a growing obesity epidemic in America and the constant supply and demand of junk food, can be hard to create nutritious food at a fast pace for the working parent.

This is why Marla says her product flourishes. “My ideal customer is a person who wants to eat healthy and know they are getting a quality lunch. They are super convenient and no one has to think because lunches are ordered in advance,” Stone says.

According to some students who usually buy lunch from school say that the only reason for buying lunch from school is because they don’t have any other choice.

Madi Hart, a junior, said that “the food here is disgusting, but if I don’t eat it ruins my day.” Hart went on to say that food is such an important part of the day and of life that it’s a shame the school doesn’t put more effort into the food.