The white dress success

On Mar. 7, the White Dress Project continued its tradition of selling gently used dresses at a discounted price to graduating seniors, lessening the financial burden and the hassle of finding a white dress for graduation.

37 dresses were sold this year, and a total of $2,500 was raised for student scholarships. The sale is a financial help to students, as they no longer need to pay for an expensive, new graduation dress which they will only wear once.

“This year, 38 dresses were donated, but that number, combined with the remaining dresses from last year, gave us a grand total of 59 dresses to be sold,” said senior Isabel Machlin, the founder of the project.

The dresses were put on display in the EPI center, where New Trier seniors were able to select and purchase the dress of their choice.

New dresses were priced at $75, while dresses left over from last year’s sale were sold for $50.

This is the second year the White Dress Project has held its sale, but Machlin began to plan the White Dress Project as a sophomore.

“I tried to lay the foundation for the project by speaking with the administration and collaborating with my advisery,” said Machlin. The sale did not begin until Machlin’s junior year, when a total of 28 dresses were donated and available for purchase.

According to Machlin, the dresses are brought to Zengeler Cleaners in Hubbard Woods, where they are dry cleaned and stored until the sale. The most challenging aspect of the drive is being able to collect a sufficient amount dresses for the sale.

“It is difficult to get the word out to graduated girls to donate their dresses,” said Machlin. “Usually they are all at college and their dress is hanging in their closet at home.”

Machlin has attempted to remedy this problem by posting advertisements in local newspapers and creating posters that were scattered throughout the Winnetka Campus. Some advisers posted ads on websites such as the Wilmette Virtual Garage Sale, which also succeeded in generating many new dresses. This exposure seems to have led to more awareness of the project

“It appears to be a great way to raise money for school scholarships because many students need them,” said junior Tommy Brittingham. “It is also environmentally friendly to recycle the previously worn dresses.”

“It seems like a great project,” said sophomore Libby Dickerson. “It’s great that New Trier can assist the graduating class.”

Machlin has organized and facilitated both the sale and donations for the sale. “She has taken on all of the responsibility herself,” said Erika Immel, Machlin’s adviser. “Last year I served as a New Trier faculty mentor, but Isabel single-handedly did all of the work for the project.”

She hopes to continue the drive into the future and is currently talking to underclassmen to decide a future leader.

“It must be passed on to a girl (or group of girls) who possess the same dedication and passion [Machlin] has had,” said Immel.