NT alumni and students alike have a passion for music

K Flay and Jordan Xidas take us inside the music industry

Melanie Mandell, Features Editor

0, the halls of New Trier are bound to be filled with a plethora of talents.

Almost every student knows that celebrities such as Rainn Wilson, Bobbi  Brown  and Pete Wentz attended New Trier, but there are also many aspiring artists who have walked these halls.

K. Flay and Jordan Alec Xidas are two up-and-coming New Trier musicians with two very different approaches to their careers.

Indie rap artist Kristine Flaherty, better known by her stage name K. Flay, graduated New Trier in 2003.

“I always listened to music, went to shows, and all that—but I never thought it was something I’d do professionally.”

When asked how her past self would react to her current success, Flaherty said that she wouldn’t have believed it.

Pop artist, and senior, Jordan Alec Xidas couldn’t be more opposite. When asked the same question about his passion for music, Xidas said it started when he was young.

“Growing up, my dad was always singing songs he wrote, so singing came pretty naturally,” Xidas said.  “I actually don’t remember a time in my life that I wasn’t singing, whether it be with my dad or with the radio.”

The two artists both approached school differently, in order to make it fit best into their careers.

“I finished college and got my degree before ever thinking about doing music full time,” Flaherty said. “It was a slow decision, one that made itself in a lot of ways. It felt like the circumstances of life kept nudging me toward music, and I didn’t really question it.”

Since Xidas always knew he wanted to have a career in music, he molds his school schedule to fit with his musical pursuits. To be both a student and a musician Xidas said it takes a good deal of planning and efficiency with school work.

He says a way to think about it is to compare a career in music to being on a sports team.

“Music requires you to be extremely self-motivated,” Xidas said. “With a team there is a practice after school, but I really have to carve out the time for songwriting and practicing, and it’s all up to me,” Xidas said.

One thing both musicians have in common is their use of the Internet to promote their music. Flaherty first released songs for free online and then pressed her own records and mixtapes once she gained more of a following.

Xidas attempted to imitate Justin Bieber’s YouTube success by starting a channel and posting covers of popular songs – his first cover being “Baby” by Justin Bieber

“I have since taken to Facebook and Instagram to post shorter musical installations which I find to be more accessible  to my audience,” Xidas said.

When looking for inspiration, the two turn to very different artists. K. Flay usually looks to what she’s currently reading and listening to.

“At the moment, musically, I’m really into Glass Animals, Bully, Son Lux, Vince Staples, and The Weeknd,” Flaherty said.

Xidas said his main influences are his father and pop artists from stations such as Kiss FM and B96.

“My absolute favorite artist is a Nashville based songwriter named Steve Moakler,” Xidas said. “He is an incredible writer and his music is really authentic with a touch of pop.”

Both of these artists are currently in the middle of some exciting projects. K. Flay is currently on tour in the UK and will be back in the US later this year. She has two shows in Chicago, one on Nov. 25, and another on Dec. 3. She plans to return to the studio after the tour ends.

Xidas has a new song coming out later next month called “Break My Heart,” and an EP called Run Free available on iTunes.

Be sure to check out these two extremely talented Trevians the next time  you’re  looking  for some new music.