Spirit award chosen

Lauren Pingad chosen as 10th spirit award recipient

Darcie Kim, Features Editor

If you hear a loud and enthusiastic cheer reverberating through the halls, there is a good chance that it is Lauren Pingad, the winner of this year’s spirit award.

Pingad was recently voted the winner of the 10th annual spirit award for her outstanding support and embodiment of Trevian spirit.

Pingad has consistently demonstrated her representation of New Trier spirit, and she can easily be characterized as one of the most supportive students in the entire student body.

Despite her winning personality, she was surprised to win this award.

“I really didn’t expect to win, so I’m very thankful. I’m thankful for everyone who supported me by voting, and I’m also thankful for everyone who continues to support me,” said Pingad.

She is also an avid participant in extracurricular activities. While she was a captain of the fencing team as a senior foil fencer this year, she believes that her major accomplishments. throughout high school have been through Yearbook and Track and Field.

Pingad has been a part of Yearbook since freshman year. She became a managing editor her junior year and a co-editor in chief for her senior year.

Her dedication is undebatable, staying after school and putting in extra hours with the other co-editor in chief to produce what she believes is the best yearbook New Trier has seen.

She also credits track and field for teaching her one the most significant values of her high school career, perseverance.

“I have been part of the varsity team since freshman year. Every year has its own challenges, whether it be intense workouts or injuries. Last year my coach taught me that ‘you have to become uncomfortable in order to get stronger’ and that really hit home,” said Pingad.

Students and staff alike credit Pingad for her passionate and supportive nature, and examples of this spirit can be seen even in everyday occurrences.

“Whenever I saw her at fencing practice, she was energetic and positive. She was also so genuinely involved with helping her peers and always came to watch and cheer on her teammates,” said senior Maddy Tung.

The spirit award is given to one member of the senior class every year who displays enthusiasm for school spirit, enjoys attending school events, and supports their peers.

This award is unique in that it requires recognition from both staff and students.

The award was started ten years ago when the current pep club sponsor Bridget Butterly joined the club. It was modeled after an award that existed at her own high school, and the process remains the same.

Any member of the staff can nominate a senior who they feel represents the spirit of New Trier. The students who have the most nominations are then put on the ballot for the senior class.

This year five students, Matt Gallo, Katherine Gjertsen, Charlie Hines, Mame O’Grady, and Lauren Pingad were those nominated.

During the week of April 17, voting was open for a few days, and seniors could elect the winner through an online ballot.

As the winner, Pingad will have her name and handprint on the spirit award wall of the pep club room, along with all of the past winners.

She will also receive a $500 scholarship and a plaque during the senior awards night.

Butterly believes that every student who has previously won deserves the recognition this award brings, as they have all represented the true meaning of being a Trevian.