New Turf Faces Financial Issues

Following seven months of construction, the 3 million dollar synthetic turf is now installed at the New Trier Stadium and surrounding playfields at the Northfield Campus. The cost of construction and the necessity of the project have raised controversy.

The turf installation completes a nearly ten year process that began in 2003, when the previous Athletic Director, Jim Block, led a committee of research and study that explored every angle of turf-field installation.

According to current New Trier Athletic Director Randy Obermebt, local contracting firm Nicholas and Associates undertook the project.

According to its website, Nicholas and Associates’ contract with New Trier was worth approximately $1.99 million, leaving roughly $1,010,000 million dollars for other expenses such as upkeep.

To help offset the cost, the New Trier Booster Club has pledged to raise one million dollars over the next three years to help pay for the turf.  At printing time, the club had raised $400,000.

What’s left of the cost will be “absorbed by the district,” according to Oberembt, just as they were for the renovation of the Gates Gym and the F Building.  Citing one of the benefits of the turf construction, Oberembt also added that although the costs will be paid for by the district, there will be no tax increase for the public to pay for.

Even with no increase in tax-payer’s money, opinions amongst the student body as to whether or not installation of the turf was a good thing for New Trier remain varied.

Senior Allison Gretchko is steadfastly opposed to the renovation.  “I think the renovation was a bad idea because the money could go to so many other things,” said Gretchko.  “They could put the money towards a scholarship allowing kids from other schools to go to New Trier or get air-conditioned gyms.”

Gretchko, who also has numerous food restrictions also voiced concern about the cafeteria.  “I think the money would have been better spent going towards alternative food-options in the cafeteria for people with allergies,” Gretchko said.  “I usually pack my lunch but if I forget there is nothing here I can eat.”

In contrast to Gretchko, senior Chris Valvasorri who has played New Trier football since he was a freshman believes that the turf was a positive, and a needed addition to the school.  “The problem with the old grass was that if it rained it wouldn’t drain well and got really muddy, which was hard to play on,” said Valvasorri.  “I think the new turf is good for all the teams that use it on any level.”  What’s more, Valvasorri added that playing on a brand new turf offers a unique opportunity for the class of 2013.  “It’s cool that we are the first seniors that get to play on the new turf, and I’m proud to play on it.”

Senior Bob Hayes who played football for six years including two years on the New Trier freshman and sophomore team agrees with Valvasorri.  “Honestly, it’s just softer and easier to run on turf,” said Hayes.  “And as far as upkeep of the field I think synthetic grass is much easier to take care of.”

Although the turf is an addition that can be enjoyed by all who play a field-sport, there are some New Trier athletes, especially those at the Winnetka campus, to which the new turf fields offer no real benefit.

Senior Stas Banas, who is on New Trier Varsity basketball believes the money spent on the turf

was not needed.  “They should have remodeled the basketball gym with the money,” said Banas.  “A lot of the other schools we play at have state-of-the-art facilities while ours is falling to pieces.  The money on the turf was wasted where it was not needed.”

In response to complaints of a new turf instead of other rennovations at the Winnetka campus, Winnetka campus principal Dr. Tim Dohrer responded with what is known as the Master Facility Plan.

The Master Facility Plan is implemented by the district and outlines what faculty and administrators would like altered at both campuses in the next twenty years.  Some projects, like the renovation of the B building at the freshman campus and now the turf, have already been completed.  According to Dr. Dohrer, new additions to the Plan include fixing the air-conditioning in the student cafeteria, a consistent complaint among students.

In response to any worries that the Master Plan is a stagnant list or more “fantasy than reality,” Dohrer acknowledged that “we continue to work on the Master Building Plan in the future, and we recognize that we have many issues to address at both campuses in the coming years.”

`Dohrer promised that renovations like the new turf will not be a rare occurrence.  “This project is the kind of thing we want to do everywhere in the building to give students what they need and deserve at New Trier High School.”