Inappropriate student texts, emails spark police investigation

New Trier administrators last week began investigating an alleged string of student-sent texts and emails containing inappropriate photographs. According to an email sent by Superintendent Dr. Linda Yonke last Friday, every New Trier household was notified that, “after extensive initial interviews,” the administration referred the case to the Winnetka Police.
Winnetka Police Deputy Chief Joe Pellus said that they are in the burgeoning stages of the investigation and have not released additional information at this time.
The email sent home to parents Friday is New Trier’s current statement on the matter, Director of Communication Nicole Dizon said. The statement highlights that for the sake of student privacy and the ongoing police investigation, details pertaining to the students’ inappropriate texts and emails will not be shared at the moment.
Senior Colin Cotter said he thought the letter was a smart way for the school to lay down the facts and prevent rumors from spreading.
“Because the school released a formal letter to everyone, it prevents people from saying things that may not be true,” he said.
Senior Nick Valdiserri also lauded the school’s approach to handling the matter.
“I’d say the school handled it very well by not adding to the problem after it had happened,” he said. “After the people knew about it, there wasn’t much information left to be out there and honestly, I forgot about it until now.”
Yonke wrote in her email that student safety with or without the use of technology is taken with the utmost seriousness at New Trier.
“We currently incorporate lessons on Internet safety into our health curriculum and the adviser program, and we plan to work with parents and students to offer additional programs on the safe and responsible use of technology,” she wrote.
Dr. Tim Dohrer, Principal of the Winnetka campus, said he trusts the issue will be resolved soon. “I have all the confidence in the world that the police and our staff will do a great job investigating the matter.”