SA bridges student-administration gap

Even though most of NT’s student body could not vote in this past national Election Day, there is still a way for Trevians to be involved in government.

New Trier’s student government organization, Student Alliance, is the way for students to be actively represented to the administration.

This year’s SA President, Jeff Salvadore, is confident in SA’s representation. “The role of student government is to act as an advocate for the student body and express its opinions to the administration,” said Salvadore. “Students will have amazing ideas on how to improve their school, and it is the duty of student government to ensure these ideas are put into practice as best as possible.”

Through SA, any individual student can help improve the school by creating a club or suggesting specific changes to school policy.

Last year, Student Alliance, responded to criticism about the then-new food service, Aramark. After complaints from students, SA specifically helped solve issues involved with the types of bread Aramark was providing.

This year, Zach Urisman, head of the SA Policy Committee, said that he’s “currently working with Josh Wenger, Aramark’s New Trier liaison, to ensure that Aramark provides great-tasting food for New Trier students.”

According to Salvadore, there is debate within SA on how well the student body is represented. Still Salvadore feels that, “Through open advisery forums, advisery visits, and surveys we administer we are able to gauge student opinion.” These meetings have brought issues throughout the school to SA’s attention. Some accomplished projects include taller stalls in the second floor women’s bathroom, more recycling bins in the hallways, American flags in each room, and more bike racks.

If SA is the advocate for the student body to the administration, then the question arises on how much power or sway do they have with the administration?

Of course a group of teenagers cannot single-handedly set school policy, but SA can make a difference by being the voice of the student body and working with the administration.

“Student government should have the power to be that voice. I will say that [the administration], with few exceptions, has been fairly good about involving students in policy formation,” said Salvidore.

When it comes to what students see, the goals and ability of New Trier’s student government can be a bit cloudy. According to Urisman, “People often misrepresent what Student Alliance stands for.” Even organization names can be misleading. Students will assume SA will actually change policy, while it is only a voice.

Someone looking at Senior Senate might assume by the name that this is a student government club. But that assumption would be wrong. While the Senior Senate used to offer class officers, such as Class President and Vice-President, those positions have since been abandoned.

As it turns out, Senior Senate is not a student government organization; it is a service organization.

Senior Adviser Chair Cindee Scott said they abandoned class officers because “having those positions did not benefit what Senior Senate stood for.” Since Senior Senate is service-orientated, having political positions does not really make sense. There are still leadership positions, but nothing of political nature.

Senior Senate is making changes to distance itself from the idea that it is a student government organization and by the time students apply to join the senate, they understand completely that it is service orientated.

Still, some students admit to not knowing much about SA. Junior Ethan Clemmit said, “I’m basically oblivious to the whole system. I’m not involved in it, and I don’t really think about it when I’m at New Trier.”

Senior Greg Vasilion said, “I don’t know too much about how Student Alliance functions but overall I think the group does a good job. When things get done around here, it usually ends up leading back to Student Alliance.”

While SA may be complicated, anyone can present an issue or even get involved. One of the easiest ways to get involved is to attend a SA forum. Carson Conlon, a junior who attends the forums, praised SA, “It’s very successful in advocating for the student body.”

While some students may not be aware of student government, SA does make the effort to express the student voice. “I think students do have an underlying desire to feel like their voices are being heard,” said Salvadore.

“This may not translate into them taking an active interest in student government, but if someone wants to express their voice and a student government is there to hear them, then the student government is doing its job.”