Winter Music Festival turns 95

The Winter Music Festival, an ensemble composed of 4 bands, 4 orchestras, and 8 choirs, is set to showcase its music Sunday Dec. 16 at 3p.m in the Gates Gymnasium. New Trier Students are welcome to attend the festival free of charge.

The event kicks off its 95th year with nearly 900 students performing. Last year, approximately 2,000 people came to see the hour and a half long performance and enjoy the music.

The Winter Music Festival is the longest running tradition at New Trier, surpassing even Lagniappe and the graduation beach party. David Ladd, the Music Department Chair and Choir Opera Music Director, commented on the quality of the Winter Music Festival.

“People know when they come that they are going to see an outstanding concert,” Ladd said.

Ladd himself will be coordinating the set-up of the festival, hiring a company to install bleachers for the musicians and conducting the finale “Hallelujah” which will be performed for the 75th consecutive year.

The festival over the years has seen little change. Keeping up the traditions is what has made the Winter Music Festival a lasting success, and 800+ performers each year put on a grand performance.

Matthew Temple, the Director of Bands, gave tribute to those involved in the Winter Music Festival.

“Truly, the Winter Music Festival is a collaborative effort of the entire music department with critical support from the PPS [Physical Plant Services] staff and theatre technical directors. It is the only music concert that involves all music students at New Trier, grades 9-12.”

Both Ladd and Temple pinpointed how the Winter Music Festival is a gift to the community. The music will take on a winter theme, but is secular to appeal to a wide audience. Ladd went on to say that it “has something for everybody, so come on down.”

Philip Choi, a junior who plays the viola for the Chamber and Symphony Orchestra, gave his remarks on what the Winter Music Festival brings to the holiday season.

“What makes it so special is how each individual musician forms music together as a group. Whether from orchestra, band, or choir; the multiple sounds produced weave life into music, which makes it special and gives spirit to the cold winter.”

In the heated Gates Gym, students will find themselves in a standing-room-only packed shoulder-to-shoulder with students coming to watch and listen. Diana Economou, a senior who plays the clarinet in both the Symphony Orchestra and Symphonic Wind Ensemble (band), is most excited about playing in front of a huge audience.

“What I love about Winter Festival is the crowd. The audience barely fits in the Gates Gym. It’s amazing to see so many people coming to appreciate all the work we put in, and all the talent we have in our groups.”

While the Winter Music Festival is a crowded event, it holds something special for everybody. Julia Golden, a sophmore who plays the violin in the Concert Orchestra and is a soprano in the Concert Choir, recalls the excitement of her first music festival not as a performer, but a spectator.

“When I was in fifth grade I went to see my sister perform. I remember how exciting it was to see the whole music department join together for one concert. I finally got to be in the concert last year.”

Golden sees the Winter Music Festival as a “wonderful experience for the audience and the performer, and a great send-off into Winter Break.
The Winter Music Festival is a long-standing tradition and is very well attended as a result. The Music Department recommends that you get there early because parking can become an issue with many people expected to come. They also want to stress that the festival will be free, as it has always been.