Altered security post Sandy Hook

The tragedy at Sandy Hook Elementary School has once again forced the issue of school security to the front of our national consciousness. A new process is being introduced dealing specifically with security and safety at New Trier, including the creation of a committee which incorporated students, staff, parents, school board members, administrators, and police officers from the communities neighboring New Trier.
“The Sandy Hook incident has raised concern for everyone across the country when it comes to school security, so it is actually giving us an opportunity to really assess not just school security, but all aspects of school safety, student safety and also the climate at the school,” Principal Tim Dohrer said.
“We’re very excited about starting this process that will take a look at our school safety and climate. The Superintendent Linda Yonke has instructed the 2 principals, Paul Waechtler and I, to start a school safety and climate committee to take a look at our current practices and what changes we might want to make going forward,” said Dohrer.
Even though this plan is being implemented after the tragedy at Sandy Hook Elementary School, this plan was in process nearly two years before the events at Sandy Hook, according to Dohrer.
“This process started Thursday Jan. 31, when the committee began to figure out how we start to think about this topic on security, and then ultimately the goal is that they will then make recommendations to the administration to which we will then try to implement,” he said.
The last in-depth security examination at New Trier was in 2006. “Worrying about school security and safety is something we’ve done quite a bit of work on already, said Dohrer, and we feel pretty good about where we are.
Each student has an involvement with the overall school security system. Dohrer encouraged students and staff to be aware of their role in the building, saying, “One of the most important things about school security is the realization that every single person in the building has an important role to play when it comes to school security.”
Drastic measures have been taken to ensure safety, security and the climate at schools throughout the United States after Sandy Hook. Psychology teacher Terri Rodgers explained, “Maslow’s hierarchy of needs can be seen applied here. Our first need is physiological, for example food, shelter and water, through research we’ve realized that lunch helps kids focus and learn. The second most prioritized on the pyramid is safety; we have to meet these needs and priorities. Kids are not going to learn well if they’re worried about their safety.”
Drastic measures to ensure security can also cause a negative effect on the learning progression of students. Rodgers said, “Security and freedom have a fine line between them. Particularly for young people ,the line between freedom and security is very thin. What might seem secure for the adults would seem a lack of freedom from the kid’s aspect. You don’t want kids to be scared because of the security measures.”
One change that has come to New Trier is the restriction of sitting in the hallways on the first floor. Dohrer explained, “I am worried about the individuals sitting on the first floor, outside the science lab, the special education office, or outside IGSS, because they are so close to the doors. We’ve already started with our security staff encouraging students to use the cafeteria, student commons or the student lounge for that kind of activity and now we’re going to be doing stronger encouragement saying you really need to clear out.”
Students have not noticed an extreme change because of Sandy Hook, but are aware of security personel being especially watchful. Sophomore Nick Heyek said, “Sandy Hook has affected us here and nationwide schools. I believe security is being taken seriously and the security around here has been more cautious.”
Junior Crystal Hawley said, “I think we’re more cautious, but also it’s pretty much the same because we were cautious in the first place, but we’re more aware now.”
Junior Mark Snyder advised, “The security at New Trier wasn’t affected very much by the incident at Sandy Hook Elementary School, but I think we need to be more alert and cautious with letting people in through the doors.”