Retirees leave for new destinations

As seniors prepare to leave New Trier, 23 members of the staff and faculty prepare to leave as well.
Special Ed Eligibility Coordinator Marion Platt has decided to retire after a 40-year career in academics, 10 of which were spent at New Trier.
Platt began her career in Connecticut pre-k to 12th grade schools, so it was a change when she moved to Chicago after getting married. She found her first year at New Trier difficult, but said she fortunately had help from the science department chair early in her career.
She would spend the next ten years teaching English, Math, History, and resource classes. She also helped students outside of New Trier who wanted to transfer over and ensure a comfortable transition.
“New Trier is different from other high schools,” Platt said. “It has a lot of independence. The students are in control of their destiny because the school offers more privileges.”
Platt has plans to travel after her retirement. She will see her two grandchildren in the summer and volunteer time to the Blood Cancer and Leukemia charity in Chicago. “This was an amazing way to conclude my career,” she said. Everyone was kind and thoughtful and I keep hearing from really great kids.”
Craig Fairbairn, Driver’s Ed teacher and head boys soccer coach is also retiring this year. He has spent his entire teaching career at New Trier since 1976, with the exception of his work in a junior high school in Wisconsin for three months. He was initially placed at New Trier in order to get his teaching degree in the 70s.
He liked the experience and began teaching Driver’s Ed at Northfield, but when it temporarily closed down he moved to the East Campus. When Fairbairn first began he found help from the department chair.
“I had to find my strengths and weaknesses since I was a new teacher,” said Fairbairn. He learned a lot and came to enjoy his time at New Trier saying that the professional parents and “high drive kids all lead to a good environment.”
Upon retiring, Fairbairn and his wife, who is also retiring after 39 years of teaching, will do some traveling. Fairbairn intends on going to Scotland to explore his Scottish heritage.