Human Growth and Development class surprises NT

Have you noticed the new trend of girls growing nine month baby bumps overnight? Is New Trier going to have to open up a new day care center? Fear nothing, it is only an experiment from the Human Growth and Development class taught here at New Trier by Julie Massarsky.

This is the 5th year of students waddling through the crowded hallways and stairwells with baby bellies.

The project, during which students wear a 9-month “baby belly”  simulator for several days and record their experiences, allows students to feel the physical parts of pregnancy. They experience the emotional and social aspects of it as well.

“The purpose of the project is not just to deter students from teen pregnancy, but more to give students a first hand look at what it’s like to actually be pregnant, like a snapshot of a day in the life of a pregnant woman. It is also a view into what it would be like to be pregnant in the high school setting,” said Massarsky.

Massarsky also expanded upon the reactions from the community to the project: “Hands down the community is very supportive! They can see the benefits of what the projects is trying to teach.”

Most students think the project is just amusing, “I like [the fake pregnant stomachs]! I think they are really funny, but really informative,” said Junior Sarah Abrams.

“I think they’re kind of funny,” joked Junior, Berrit Keller, “You always do a double take whenever you see them.”

“This girl walked in my class and I thought ‘OMG! Has she always been preggers?’” said Robby Hauldren,”I think this project could possibly feed the rumor mill, get it spinning.”

One anonymous student filled out a questionnaire about her experience wearing the belly: what were the reactions from your peers? “People took pictures, called me names, punched or slapped my stomach. Some people tried not to stare but were obviously looking.” Another question stated: what was the worst part of the experience? “Those stairs!! I had such a hard time walking up them with the extra weight.”

The project requires students to have a permission slip signed by all their teachers so that they will be aware of the students condition the following day. Additionally, the student who wears the fake pregnancy belly is not allowed an elevator pass and is required to participate in KW. Michael Napolean, a KW teacher, explained how this is a good thing, “cardio is very good while you’re pregnant, and it’s important to stay in good shape.”

The fashion choices of some of those “pregnant” teens does raise eyebrows. Tonya Piscitlello, an MCL Spanish teacher admitted that usually, girls who are actually pregnant will not walk around wearing a tight t-shirt. Most likely, they cover themselves in a sweatshirt. “It struck me as interesting that girls want to make it obvious they are in the class and taking part of the fake pregnancy project,” said Piscitlello.

Massarsky’s comment on the clothing was that she hadn’t noticed the girls wearing anything to show off their stomachs. In fact,  she said that most girls wore  sweatshirts during the project.

Some students actually take Human Growth and Development for this project.

“My cousin and I looked through that booklet of electives and read the descriptions. We saw that there was a baby belly and plastic baby doll simulation in this course and we’ve always wanted to do something like that ever since we saw this one episode from Save By the Bell, so we chose that one,” said sophomore Mabel Salgado.

Boys take this class as well, Sophomore, Isaac (Sixx) Oh, shared his thoughts on the project, “I did not like doing it, but I did learn that pregnant woman have to be like this for 9 months and I have nothing but respect. It makes me love my mom even more! I obviously didn’t fear people judging me because guys cannot get pregnant.”

Massarsky stated, “The baby bump simulators are high tech! They weigh 25-30 pounds and it simulates fetal movement, bladder pressure, and respiratory pressure.”

Junior Hannah Perl said, “I learned about how hard pregnancy is and how uncomfortable it is to be 9 months pregnant; it’s hard to breath, it’s hot, it’s heavy, everyone stares at you in the halls.”